Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Needs Help

This topic is 3633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm new to game development. I want to create business simulation games that are very basic, on the lines of Build-A-Lot, tycoons but simplified, etc. in 2D. My field is education and I find that many game engines cater to 3D FPS games and that's not what I'm looking for. I do realize that game development is challenging, and I'm willing to endure, but are there any game engines, books, or other resources that would help me understand my genre better? What languages would you recommend?

Is it safe to assume you know nothing?

Sim games are very, very, very, very complicated. They involve event-driven programming, AI, animation, time-based programming, statistics, and GUI. Shoot lower. Got a lower idea? Try one even lower and do that first.

In terms of getting a language in there, many will suggest c++, but many will steer you away for it being to complex. You should decide whether you want to take the hard rout (c++) early, or later, if at all. The thing is, c++ is sort of the only language you'll ever really need, and that's a bad thing. I've found that people who say they learned c++ first don't say they know many other languages (opinion, not fact). Every language you learn forces you to think a different way, so learning many languages can help you learn to program with a more open mind. So, I wouldn't suggest c++.

I was hoping someone else would fill in that blank.

All I can say about books is some are good, some are not. If you can find a local class at a community college, that'd probably be better because they're structured and usually guaranty that you'll learn some. Plus, you have an experienced resource for if you need one.

But, really, google a tutorial or wait for someone else to sell you a book.

Some questions are in order:

What programming languages are you familiar with? And how long have you been using them?

Have you written non-game applications before?

You've already indicated your willingness to put some work into learning. That's great. Question is, do you wish to use your investment in all the learning any further? That is, is your entrance to game development a long term thing, or are you really focused on a single idea you have in your head, and you want to have just that made into a real game?

Thanks for your help. Yes, I'm in it for the long haul but I do have an idea that I desperately need to be developed ASAP. I'm looking for the shortest path to get it done. I'm currently taking a C++ course but I'm open to whatever is out there to get this game developed quickly. Yes, C++ is a challenge and its taking some time to grasp it. I've thought about learning Flash, but I'm not sure if it's easier to learn.

The game I want to develop is an extremely simplfied business simulation that's similar to the tycoon games, but as mentioned, not as complicated.

This topic is 3633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.