XNA Anyone?

Started by
2 comments, last by JohnnyVega 16 years, 3 months ago
Anyone tried making games in XNA Game Studio 2.0? Got an idea for a game, but I have only a tiny bit of knowlege in programming and no experience in game programming, so what I'm wondering is: Is it easy? I forgot to mention (though it is obvious) that this will be a simple Xbox Live Arcade game. Think flOw and Patapon etc.
Advertisement
Make sure you learn C# thoroughly first (ideally through developing Console applications). After you've done that, yes, I would say that XNA is fairly easy. There are some good sites you can visit to help you learn about XNA, too--Google Ziggyware, that's one of the best. Also, although XNA provides a lot of cool functions and simplifies setting things up greatly, most of the stuff you'll be doing is the same as other game programming, so don't be afraid to look at the game programming articles here and elsewhere on the web.
It's easier than trying to write a game in C/C++ using DirectX but not as easy as using flash or python/pygame to write a game.
Or just sticking to C# and winforms for that matter!
It's about as easy as Microsoft could make it considering that it has to support the Xbox(so you get extra unnecessary code if you are just making windows games) and doesn't use the fixed function graphics approach.
It just seems to be a slight improvement over MDX if you ever used that from the few code samples I have seen and the XNA books I have.
So considering what you said:
"but I have only a tiny bit of knowlege in programming and no experience in game programming"
no it's not as easy as pygame where someone with little programming knowledge can pick it up in a short amount of time if that's what you are thinking?

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Hey! Thanks alot for the insight guys.

Dunno, maybe I'll just try describing the idea properly and give it to someone who knows what he's doing. :D

Will install and see how much I get anyway though. Just in case. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement