[web] CSS Layout

Started by
1 comment, last by laureysruben 16 years, 3 months ago
I was going to use tables to organize the different parts of my site. But I read that I should instead use CSS to design the page layout. Are there any disadvantages of using CSS for this? I also want to use ASP.NET 2.0 and a master page. So in this case, my master page would use the CSS layout and all the content pages would get the same layout ???
-----Quat
Advertisement
The disadvantage of CSS is that it can be more difficult to create your design and have it render the same across browsers. When I work with CSS I keep a browser compatibility table close at hand and a clear picture of what browsers I am planning on supporting.
I think you'll have alot of reading-work about good webdesign.

There are some important concepts to keep in mind:
- Seperate content, markup, and behaviour ((x)html, css, &#106avascript)
- Semantic coding! (only know one good article about that, and it's in dutch, so find one for yourself, maybe I'll write one)
- compatibility: make it work everywhere (it almost comes natural when you do the other two good, use css hacks for the rest)

Now first learn structuring a page with (x)html in a good way, it's something which needs some practice, and actually it's best you learn from someone with experience. (like I did, I learned from a crazy teacher who could see the indention of your code was pixel wrong from 10 meter distance, but I learned in 2 months)
Then you learn css, step by step. Learn markup first, then start with positioning. Make sure you understand the box-model, and know the difference between different types of positioning. If you got here, you can start making good websites.
You can learn &#106avascript if you feel you need it...<br><br>Now why is this important? Because there are different browsers &#111;nt the market, and they all have some specific behaviour. There is internet explorer (which is actually starting to support the standards better), firefox, opera, safari, ...<br>and ofcourse: screenreaders (who read webpages for blind people)<br>It is important to make your webpage accessible to everyone, not just to ie users, or ff, or opera, but to everyone.<br>And why? Maybe because you feel like everyone has the right to be able to read (or hear) the content of your webpage?<br>Don't think so...<br>It's because all of these people are potential clients, and if the client can not visit your webpage with his browser, he will not come back, and you loose a potential client.<br><br>But hey, feel free to say f*ck standards, and make your website in a wysiwyg editor or with crappy html, this is just what I think. (and the rich guy who taught me these things...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement