Sign in to follow this  

3ds max 9 very important '?'

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright I'm fixing to learn 3ds max 9 the only reason why I want to learn it is because I hear that most game industry's use that to well make games. duh. So I don't want to use it if it's not really a huge part of making a game. But what is it necessarly for? Okay let's do a scenario you have this first person shooter your creating you got your code, your sound affects, ect ect. So: Lead Dev: Joe we need a flamethrower in our game and some flame effects for the flamethrower make it happen! Joe: Okay! Joe: Goes into 3d's max 9, models a flamethrower finishes it. Throws the model into the code to go into the game. Lead Dev: Nice JOE! We have a flamethrower in our FPS game now! Now we just need some flames to come out of it! Joe: Okay! Joe: Goes into 3d's max 9 again, and kind of makes a scene and in that scene just consists of a basic fire blowing in the middle of no where. Makes all the cool little affects and makes it into a scene like that like a movie but instead he puts that scene into the game code and so once you use your flamethrow that joe made in 3ds max 9 the flame he made in it also comes out. I know this is really a stupid question but I wanna get how it works with all that. Thanks in advance for some clarity!

3DS Max is, indeed, used to create models. Sometimes it's also used for level-design, cut-scenes or other similar purposes, though that depends on the game, the team, the available budget, and so on.

I've never heard of 3DS Max being used for particle effects, and I don't think it's used for that purpose often, because such effect systems are often very game-specific, but you never know. It's certainly not the main reason for 3DS Max' popularity.

Also, a good Lead Dev will give Joe a bit more information than just 'we need a flamethrower, make it happen'. Things like polygon and texture budgets, purpose, desired style, required animations and other technical and artistic information are all usefull to know beforehand, otherwise Joe will be running around, continually fixing his model because it wasn't what Lead Dev really wanted. And if Joe didn't get that information, he should ask for it.

If you want to get some real-life experience, start modding a game. Many AAA games nowadays come with level-editors and other tools that allow you to insert your own levels, models, textures, sounds, and so on into these games.

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.