Sign in to follow this  

Basic Game Physics.

This topic is 3616 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by bzroomThe book "Physics for Game Developers" is also nice too.

Really? I thought it was a complete pile of cr*p. this one is better imho.

box2d is quite a nice open source simple 2d physics engine if you want to learn more about the ins and outs of programming a physics engine.

Quote:
Original post by BS-VecVidjeno
I would like to learn some basic game physics for my platform game, can yo give me some pointers/links etc...

For platformer? Platformers are better without so called game physics. Imagine a person to jump, and then slide because of low friction. Would he be happy? Platformers need firm control, so it's better to invent your own physics, than copy some textbook. Look at Sonic at GBA, you'd get some idea how far could you afford to go in a platformer.

And for reference I hate platformers. On the other hand I'm required to have at least some idea about any genre.

Quote:
Original post by Raghar
Quote:
I would like to learn some basic game physics for my platform game, can yo give me some pointers/links etc...

For platformer? Platformers are better without so called game physics. Imagine a person to jump, and then slide because of low friction. Would he be happy? Platformers need firm control, so it's better to invent your own physics, than copy some textbook. Look at Sonic at GBA, you'd get some idea how far could you afford to go in a platformer.

And for reference I hate platformers. On the other hand I'm required to have at least some idea about any genre.

Ummm...let him make the game he wants. If he has an idea for a platformer using physics like that then let him use it.

Quote:
Original post by Raghar
Quote:
For platformer? Platformers are better without so called game physics. Imagine a person to jump, and then slide because of low friction.
"Game physics" do not have to match or even neccesarily approximate real physics. "Invented" physics are still physics. [wink]

This topic is 3616 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.