Sign in to follow this  

[.net] C# arrays: multidimensional versus lexicographic

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Lately I've been doing some processor intensive physical modeling in C#. Basically, my simulation code needs to store a two-dimensional array. This can be implemented in two ways: 1.) Use true multidimensional arrays, created as double[,] grid = new double[width,height], and indexed as grid[x,y]. 2.) Use unidimensional arrays with lexicographic indexing, created as double[] grid = new double[width*height] and indexed as grid[y*width+x]. Now, according to my profilings (System.Diagnostics.Stopwatch), unidimensional arrays make the code 2-4 times faster than multidimensional arrays! Is it common knowledge that multidimensional arrays are slower than unidimensional ones? How are multidimensional arrays implemented internally? I was quite shocked by the speed difference. Thanks a lot, - Mikko P.S. Yes, I've checked that both types of arrays produce the same results (i.e. my simulator isn't buggy). Also, the profiling is repeated a number of times (to avoid program startup bias etc.), and the random variation is negligible.

Don't forget staggered arrays:

double[][] grid = new double[height][];

for(int i = 0; i < height; i++)
grid[i] = new double[width];

I have read in the msdn docs somewhere that staggered arrays perform better than multidimensional arrays, so I think it is known that multidimensional arrays perform slower than alternatives. I don't recall ever reading any comparison of staggered arrays with single dimensioned arrays. You should try that and see how it compares.

Memory access patterns performance, processor cache behavior etc. are rather deep subjects -- especially with virtual machines. In this case, as you didn't provide the code you are measuring, I assume you are indexing your multidimensional array intelligently (like row-major access) and aren't also doing some unnecessary boxing operations in the loop putting unnecessary pressure to the memory system. So, just a few general points concerning C# efficiency.

If your are writing something along this
for(int index = 0; index < a.Length; index++)

the JIT compiler checks the validity of the array bounds just once before the loop with a statement approximately like this
if((Length - 1) <= a.GetUpperBound(0))

if the array is one-dimensional and zero-based.

No such luck with multidimensional, jagged ("staggered arrays" in what kanato wrote) or non-zero based arrays: the upper-bound gets checked every time with some additional checks related to the lower bound of the array. For single-dimensional zero-based arrays there are also some special instructions like ldelem, ldelema, ldlen, newarr and stelem that allow the compiler to emit more optimised code.

If performance is a concern, a single dimensional array is the way to go, multidimensional array being the slowest. You could also consider using unsafe code, which will bring the observable wall clock time further down.

Thank you for your kind replies, gentlemen!

Changing the order indexing for multidimensional
arrays from grid[x,y] to grid[y,x]
boosted up the code a lot, probably due to
better cache coherence.

I also tried out jagged arrays, and
in fact, they were even faster than
the unidimensional lexicographic arrays! @_@
I was quite surprised by this, I thought
that the "double indirection" required
by jagged arrays was highly detrimental to efficiency.

Anyways, thanks guys.

- Mikko

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.