Sign in to follow this  

Resistance: Fall of Man type game

This topic is 3614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Was thinking abotu making a game (in Blitz 3D) similar to Resistance: Fall of Man or Halo. Want a FPS with a whole crapload of aliens to shoot, good weps, etc. Should be a Sci-Fi (obviously). Any ideas for a good storyline??? I suck at these kinda things. Oh also would like ideas for menus within the game to switch weps, etc. Needs to look very comp-gen cause it would emphasize the super-modern game feel.

On a related note, I'd like to build an airplane like the Puper Cub. Wheels, wings, some kind of rudder and/or other control surfaces, and definitely yellow.

Seriously, what are you getting at here? You want a story for a linear FPS game? Here:

In the year 2184, nanotechnology has advanced to a level at which nanoaugmentations and neural implants improve human performance across the board. The technology, however, can only interface with human cells, due to nanotailoring methods developed during the Dolphin Wars.

With every planet (Pluto too) colonized, pollution eliminated and reality TV banned, mankind turns to the stars for new obstacles to overcome.

You're an astronaut, sent on the first manned FTL mission to a distant solar system. Your mission is one of reconnaisance, and you've got a new sort of nanotech on-board, one that lets you use your implants to interface with a vast array of systems just by touching them.

Something goes wrong, and your faster-than-light drive becomes a slower-than-dirt drive. You pop out of the rift fifteen thousand years after you left, to find your destination planet is now the capital of an intergalactic empire of earth-descended androids. You meet their king, who explains that subsequent attempts were more successful and mankind spread throughout the galaxy before succumbing to a strange plague and becoming extinct some two thousand years ago.

The 'droids welcome you, assure you that you can't catch the bug on this planet, and ask you to use your ancient lost nanotech (can't be used by non-humans) to help them in their war against a biological menace, scourge of their world.

You travel to a research station, kill a bunch of aliens, unlock powerful relics from the Human Age, become a one-man hurricane of ass-kicking, discover that the "plague" was more like a "war" and the "aliens" are actually "genetically engineered supersoldiers" and the "biological scourge" is really a "human resistance". Then you turn around and shoot your way back through all the same maps, but backward, and learn that the central mainframe that controls all the droids is actually a nanocomputer fused to the cloned brain of Hitler. You frog-blast the vent core and fly in triumph to New Earth, where you learn that all human men have died in the war and you've got to help ten million sexy spacegirls repopulate the galaxy. The end.

I had an idea for a game something along the lines of Fallout and Lost Planet. But I forget the storyline...I have it typed up somewhere so I will post later today xD

Quote:
Want a FPS with a whole crapload of aliens to shoot, good weps, etc. Should be a Sci-Fi (obviously).

Ok, then design a game, an FPS with a whole crapload of aliens and so on...

Quote:
Any ideas for a good storyline???

No, no, design a game. A story is not a game, if you want to sit around and write stories then your end-goal shouldn't be an FPS game. If you want to make an FPS, then make an FPS and fuck the story until you have a game.

Quote:
I suck at these kinda things.

You mean stories? If you suck at stories, why are you trying to write one? Why aren't you trying to make the best damned alien-blasting gameplay evAr!

Quote:
Oh also would like ideas for menus within the game to switch weps, etc. Needs to look very comp-gen cause it would emphasize the super-modern game feel.

Check out the Ratchet and Clank games for a very good interface for in-game weapon switching.

Well, I suck at storylines. The reason for posting the Idea on a forum is to get help with subjects that u don't know how to do!!! And yeah, I do agee that the gameplay should come b4 storyline but I have the gameplay layed out now I just need a good storyline. (PS I like the idea about a clone of Hitler's brain. maybe I could do Saddam Hussein's, as well).

If you don't have a specific story you want to tell with the game, then just do your best to enslave the story to the gameplay you've envisioned. Look at Gears of War. The story there is basically a series of excuses for each level. Tutorial -> Daytime -> Nighttime -> Driving Interlude -> Cave -> Train -> Boss is how that story goes. There are little transitional bits, like where you have a nice easy daylight gunfight between the challenging cave level and the monotonous train level, or where you solve the puzzle and light all the propane tanks, and then are rewarded with a nice stand-up fight.

So whatever it is that you want the game to do, set up your gameplay experience, the pacing, the length, the mini-games etc. can all be sketched out, and then you can flesh it in with whatever secret agencies and alien races and peppy sidekicks you care to invent.

The storyline doesn't have to be crap, but if you don't have a story you want to tell, then make sure the story you wind up with doesn't get in the way.

Look at Resistance, after all. Everyone died but you, there's no explanation, just some guy's diary noting how unusual it is for that to be the case. That guy dies fifteen seconds after you meet him, and I didn't see him write any memoirs in that time. "Nathan, you have to run into this city, and then through it, and then out the other side. No, don't go around, all the enemies are in there." Also, they have a sewer level. And an industrial complex with moving platforms and a series of elevators. It's pure video game, with no time wasted on cutscenes that you can't skip. Fun, too.

k. got it. no un-skippable cinematics. pure video game. I realized most of that before I started looking at storyline. However, from certain sources (thanks Iron Chef Carnage), I've pieced together the beginning of a storyline...

It is the year 2124. a giant meteor the size of Mars strikes the earth along the San Andreas fault in California, blasting san francisco and all citizens of into rubble and carnage. As the fault shatters under the tremendous pressure, magma pours out onto the surface, joining with the wildfires of the season and burning all of california into a semi-molten husk.

After a year of research and thousands of mysterious deaths in the Nevada area, It is finally concluded that the meteor is the remnants of an alien breeding center, and the as the alien spores in the dust from the crash land in the magma, they spawn into flesh-eating alien beasts, who thrive at night, stealing humans from their homes and eating them whole.

Of coures, before this is realized, astronomers conclude that the force of the 'meteor' hitting earth stopped all rotation, suspending the continental US in permanent darkness.

As aliens continue to spawn from the magma, the alien force grows larger and larger, and the small National Guard unit that was pulled in to stop the flow has been eaten alive, bones and all.

A week later, the alien mothership appears beside earth, three times the size of our home planet, bristling with weapons, and sporting a large battlescar where the breeding center was ripped away.

As this is happening, the permanently dark United States is freezing. War is breaking out between states, and invasions from Canada and Mexico are trying to claim any still-unfrozen ground for planting....

Obviously from here, the aliens invade earth, you shoot the hell out of an army's worth, and you blow up the mothership.

How's it sound so far?? any adjustments need to be made?

Well, as long as you don't dwell on some of the laws of physics you broke (nothin' major, just gravity and such) I think that it has enough "wow" factor to make people jump on it.

For what you are trying to make, I do not think that the plot needs to go father at this point. At this point I think it might be wise to lay down the groundwork so you can look at level design, where you can then wrap your plot around that.

With this being the game development bit of this, have you had any thoughts on the content?

Well, yeah, I've thought about content but no almighty solution has jumped to the front. In other words, I'm still open for ideas. I'm sure that most of the time the player will be blasting aliens spawning from the lava, be the lone survivor of that National Guard unit, and have to join the Western Union(Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and California), which is a new superpower emerging from the US, because this adds depth, as the character is not only trying to fight off an alien invasion and halting the lava flow before it breaches the California-Nevada border, but also fighting off the flows of invaders from Mexico and other states (namely Colorado and Oregon).

OK, I know, I've covered all this b4.

If you're talking about gameplay, then my ideas so far have been to assume that only large turret-mounted guns and such have progressed beyond the projectile point, meaning that the player will be equipped with bullet-firing machine guns and small, highly explosive bullets. I decided to go with a first-person shooter because it feels more like you're actually there. I haven't gotten around to artwork for the aliens but I know that they are going to be typical arcade aliens (eg flesh eating, mutated looking, slimy things).

When the player starts the game, they have a knife and a small, automatic pistol with titanium-alloy body-armor piercing rounds. Of course, aliens won't have body armor as they are beastly biomasses and don't need it, but when you fight enemy humans, generally soldiers will wear body armor when in a shoot-out.

Higher level weapons include sniper rifles with bladed bullets the size of a fist that rip jeeps in half, and rocket launchers that could drop a sattelite if happened to hit one.

I probably need to go into more detail, but until you guys give me specific questions instead of the vague ones I've been getting I can't tell you what you want to know.

The trouble is that there's so little here that we can't really ask directed questions. We're left wondering what the game will feel like, what it will look like, how it will be paced, what sort of objectives we'll be expected to achieve.

For instance, the combat philosophy made famous by Halo and then replicated in games like FEAR and Resistance centers on discreet "encounter" scenes and the use of grenades and melee attacks. One of the Bungie guys once said that there are only really thirty seconds of gameplay in Halo: You come upon a group of Covenant, sneak in and punch a couple in the back of the head until one spots you, stick a grenade to his face, run around putting objects between you and the other enemies while killing them, and then polish the last one off by running directly at him, emptying your rifle into his energy shield, and then clobbering him with the buttstock. Then you scrounge ammo and weapons, find the door to the next area, and proceed.

So rather than asking one or two specific questions, we'd need some kind of standardized FPS assessment battery to get a grasp on your idea.

Will your game use a "leaning" feature to let you shoot around corners? Will your health regenerate automatically without gathering medkits? Will you have grenades bound to a button, or will you have to sling/holster your primary weapon to get one out? Melee button or knife in the inventory? Flying enemies? What will the shotgun be like? Will the aliens have weapons you can use? Will their language be intelligible to you? Will there be vehicles? Cutscenes between levels? Sidekick? Multiplayer? Co-op? Damsel in distress? How do you defeat the alien menace, and what happens at the end? Do you try to rebuild on a shattered Earth, or use the alien ship to colonize a new home, or just die?

It seems that the idea is only partially formed, and you need to put a lot more effort into the first push of design before it's even big enough to critique.

So what exactly do you have for this project? Any concept art? notes? doodles?

for your HUD, minimalistic? Jarring concave things with lots of pointy ends that move a lot?

You said that you want this to be a R:FOM or halo style game. What about content? What are you drawing inspiration from for that? for instance, do you want the aliens to have six eyes arrayed in a geometric pattern?

This topic is 3614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.