Where to go next?

Started by
8 comments, last by Crazyfool 16 years, 3 months ago
I started learning Java about 3 months ago as my first language. I have reached the level where I understand all the Java basics (variables , logic statements like : if and for , A little bit about concurrency , Basic OOP) and the book I'm using moves on to talk Swing. My question is: Should I learn more Java or Switch to a different language like C#, C++ , Visual Basic? your advice is appreciated. Thanks.
J.W.
Advertisement
Well now that you know the basics start writing some of those games(hangman,tictac toe,nim,etc) you always wanted to with your Java knowledge.
I'm assuming you learned to program to make your own games since I know that's the only reason I would ever waste so much of my personal time banging my head trying to learn programming.
You'd just be wasting time switching to another language especially C# at this point since it's very similar to Java anyhows.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Depends on what kind of games you want to make.
From what I've read and seen, Java, for example, would be a poor choice if you're making a 3D game.

I think C++ is still the industry standard.
Quote:Original post by Cgr

This should not concern a beginner. In fact, it won't have any relevance unless you're applying for a job that needs you to know C++.

Otherwise, you're free to use whatever language you like at your leisure (even if it is C++).

I'd second sticking with Java at the moment since you know it.
[TheUnbeliever]
Depends on what kind of games you want to make.
From what I've read and seen, Java, for example, would be a poor choice if you're making a 3D game.

C++ is indeed the industry standard when it comes to developing games. However, just because C++ is the standard, doesn't mean it's impossible to go with a different language. There are plenty of Java libraries to do 3D, and Java can do 2D fine.

Besides, if the sole reason to use C++ is because it is industry standard, then we'd grind to a halt eventually, because there wouldn't be progress in our field. C# is currently gaining popularity aswell, because it can achieve pretty good performance and is easier to work with.

However, if you currently know Java, go with it. Stick to Java for a while and learn to program for real. Because knowing Java's syntax doesn't mean you know how to program. Once you know how to program, it's easy to learn a new language such as C++, Visual Basic, C#, etc.

Toolmaker

Even if programming 3D games is your ultimate goal I think you should stick to Java for now. You've been through the boring parts (by comparison) now it's time to use what you learned. Make a few games (if that's what you want to do), start simple with games like hang man and then move to more complex games like tetris or snake.
Once you become more accustomed to programming it'll be easy to switch language (since the principles of programming is rather similar for all languages) if you feel that you're too limited by Java. However for now Java will do you just fine, it'll be a great while before you're limited by it (as someone pointed out it is perfectly possible to code 3D games in Java).
learning c# would be by now means waste of time. you can do games in java but for games for windows c# is much better(as you might want to use directX later). also once you know basics of java then basics c# is quite easy.
I did not mean imply that he should be discontinuing Java.... My opinion is that people should finish what they start, but if he has specific game genre in mind, he should learn the right tools for the job.
Thanks all. I was thinking of switching to C# but now, instead, I'm gonna wait until I know more Java.

Thanks again.
J.W.
Java and C++ are similar enough in design that switching from Java to C++ (and vice versa) is relatively easy. Very easy compared to learning Java from scratch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement