Sign in to follow this  

Boost and VC08, should I be worried?

This topic is 3631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am getting this compiler message everywhere: Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results Is anyone using Boost with 2008 without any significant problems?

Quote:
Original post by Toni Petrina
Is anyone using Boost with 2008 without any significant problems?

I am. I've yet to build the non-header-only libraries (eg boost::thread) because I'm lazy, but my current project has boost sprinkled throughout it.

The warning is because different compilers, even from the same vendor, are differently compliant with the standard and hence need different workarounds. By default, boost assumes that any new compiler version has the same problems as the last known version (there's some #define to assume that the compiler is perfect, but I've forgotten it).

I doubt the workarounds break anything, and the new versions are probably better than the previous, so I'm guessing it's probably okay. I'm willing to be told I'm wrong, though!

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
It works, but you need to patch the new version into boost configuration. For some reason, this still wasn't fixed in distribution.

Link please?

Quote:
I am. I've yet to build the non-header-only libraries (eg boost::thread) because I'm lazy, but my current project has boost sprinkled throughout it.

Tell me about it, I have some problems with building python.

Thanks anyway.

Quote:
I've yet to build the non-header-only libraries (eg boost::thread)

There's a small number of problems, but from what I've tested, building boost libraries with static linkage solves them. This might be the reason VS9 isn't officially supported yet.

boost::asio requires explicit define to use proper headers, otherwise it defaults to *nix type headers and fails miserably on windows.

Quote:
Link please?

I applied this.

and

bjam toolset=msvc-9.0 variant=release threading=multi link=static --builddir=c:\boost --libdir=c:\boost --includedir=c:\boost install

I think this built it, but I didn't go to check back if there were any errors, it took some 20 minutes altogether. The important thing for me was "link=static", I was having problems with dynamic link. That's for the 1.34.1.

[Edited by - Antheus on January 5, 2008 6:15:43 PM]

This topic is 3631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.