Sign in to follow this  

MDX Sprite.Draw with SrcRect error

This topic is 3628 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm currently trying to convert a 2D game from DirectDraw to Direct3D (that i had just converted from GDI to directdraw :(). I'm using VB.Net and the newest version of the DX9 SDK. I'm trying to make Sprite.Draw work, but it crashes sometimes when i send a sourceRectangle with X or Y different from 0. The first thing that i verified is that X+Width of sourceRectangle doesn't exceed the image width. I verified the same thing with the height. The first DrawSprite() that crashed had SrcRect(X = 288, Y=96, Width = 48, Height = 48) Texture(Width = 512, Height = 512) heres the code that i am using to draw.
    Public Sub DrawSprite(ByVal pDestRect As Rectangle, ByRef pTex As Texture, ByVal pSrcRect As Rectangle)
        m_Sprite.Begin()

'If i remove this, i'll Crash !
        If pSrcRect.X > 0 Then pSrcRect.X = 0
        If pSrcRect.Y > 0 Then pSrcRect.Y = 0

m_Sprite.Draw(pTex, pSrcRect, New Microsoft.DirectX.Vector2(1.0F, 1.0F), New Microsoft.DirectX.Vector2(0, 0), 0.0F, New Microsoft.DirectX.Vector2(pDestRect.X, pDestRect.Y), Color.White)

m_Sprite.End()
    End Sub

What's funny about this is that with the patch i applied to set the X and Y to 0, it doesn't crash ! The error that i get from DX is D3D_INVALIDCALL on m_Sprite.Draw I am clueless about what might cause the crash and after 2 days of searching google, and finding out that most of the good google finds came from this forum, i decided to ask my question here !

Wow !

i have finally resolved the mystery !

When using a VB.Net Rectangle as a source, i must set the rectangle's width to it's Right, and it's Height to it's Bottom !

Big thanks to MJP for his C++ sprite sample posted in another post which gave me the idea to try this solution !

Here's the working code, if it can help someone in the future !

Public Sub DrawSprite(ByVal pDestRect As Rectangle, ByRef pTex As Texture, ByVal pSrcRect As Rectangle)
m_Sprite.Begin()

'Build an adjusted rectangle where the width is set to the right
'and the height set to bottom ! this is because DX expects a rectangle
'width a right and a bottom, NOT a width and height !
Dim adjustedSrcRect As New Rectangle(pSrcRect.X, _
pSrcRect.Y, _
pSrcRect.Right, _
pSrcRect.Bottom)

m_Sprite.Draw(pTex, adjustedSrcRect, New Microsoft.DirectX.Vector2(1.0F, 1.0F), New Microsoft.DirectX.Vector2(0, 0), 0.0F, New Microsoft.DirectX.Vector2(pDestRect.X, pDestRect.Y), Color.White)

m_Sprite.End()
End Sub

Just so you know, but you should only being calling Begin/End once per frame in order to batch your sprites, all the actual drawing is done in End. Calling them all the time will create a very slow program, and it defeats the purpose of using the sprite class.

This topic is 3628 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.