Sign in to follow this  

XNA Development License Question

This topic is 3628 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this isn't a very technical question, but I am hoping some of you guys on this site have some experience with this. Some of my friends and I want to develop a small video game, and with the recent release of XNA we thought it would be a good idea to target the Xbox 360 with the Xbox Live Arcade. My friend has told me that the restrictions on distribution with XNA are pretty thick. Basically it has said that you cannot use XNA for any sort of commercial use -- personal use only. Does anyone have any idea if its worth our time to develop with C# and XNA for the XBox right now? We're worried that if we make a successful game that is actually fun that we'll get screwed by the XNA agreements of distribution and non commercial use. Or is this less of an issue if we solely target the Live Arcade? Thanks for any answers :)

There is no problem with selling a XNA game targeting the Xbox360 however there are current limitations:

1) To play your game your customer's need to pay for a subscription to XNA Creators Club which is around around £50 ($100) for a year.
2) To play your game the customer needs to download XNA game studio to transfer to their Xbox 360 (iirc)

Ofcourse this can be avoided if you can convince Microsoft to put your game up on XBLA (after jumping through the many hurdles).

Ofcourse, this hassle doesn't need to be considered if you target the PC where you can sell your XNA games with pretty much no restrictions, as long as you are following the EULA (e.g. including the redistribution installers and not DLL's).

Thanks Neo. Yah the game we have in mind is small-scale, as there is only a few of us. So if we did make something great - we would target the XBox Live Arcade, and hope we can make it through their 5 step process.

This topic is 3628 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.