Sign in to follow this  

What is next in my path?

This topic is 3627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, I have made three games (worth mentioning) so far: a Pong clone, a Space Invaders clone, and another game which is an inertia-controlled ball that must solve a maze and collect jewels without falling off. Well, after that, I fell into the FPS/RPG/MMORPG thing. Bad. Now I don't know how to get out... I started around 10 "projects" but they all have an average of 2% completeness. So, my question is, what kind of game can this noob do next? Thanks in advance. [edit] I got it - Breakout clone! But suggestions are still welcome. [/edit] [Edited by - SeeForever on January 6, 2008 10:10:30 AM]

You probably don't want to do a game next. Your best bet (imo) is to make a sandbox and dabble. Work on a simple chat application, perhaps some lighting trickery, terrain gen... focus on one teeny-tiny part of the FPS/RPG/MMORPG and dabble with it; Learn.

Besides Telastyn's suggestion (which is a good one, btw), other games I found useful to make as a learning experience are (in no particular order): Pacman, Tetris, Breakout (as you mentioned), a side scrolling space (well, doesn't have to be space, submarine or plane/helicopter would work the exact same) shooter, a side scroller (eg: mario clone) and a simple top down RPG. After you have done each of those, you should have a pretty good idea how to create any little 2D game and are more than ready to try making larger games.
Keep adding to your games over time, refactor the code as you learn, to make it better. Reuse code where you can. Bit by bit, you can start building up a small online RPG (or whatever it is you wish to make). At some point you will want to do as Telastyn syggests and build a little game environment which you can use to test out new ideas.

I thank you two very, VERY much.

I'll finish this Breakout, then do some little game segments like Telastyn said, then give a shot at cloning the games issch listed.

Now I that my path is clear, I feel motivated. Again, thanks very much.

This topic is 3627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.