Sign in to follow this  

fps?

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

q)Should i set a frames per second count on my rendering with directx/c++.Currently i have bothered q) should i set it to 30fps or 60fps? what difference does it make other than saving the computer work to do because the limit is capped by the monitor refresh rate 'hertz' yes?

You definitely should set a cap.
As to what speed, it really depends. Monitors normally have a refresh rate of 50-70 hertz, but you don't need that much when rendering. I normally use 30, but you might want more for other things like physics.

I'd be inclined to go with at least 60FPS - it'll look much smoother especially if it's a fast action game (racing, FPS etc). Unless you're expecting to do way more work per frame than most modern games this really shouldn't be a problem.

You can count on monitors having 60 Hz, but no more than that. There are still plenty of monitors with a max of 60 Hz on their highest resolution (many CRT monitors can support higher refresh rate with a lower resolution). Maybe l33t gamers have 75 Hz or higher, but then your target audience is extremely limited.

But more importantly, you shouldn't need to depend upon a refresh rate. Please, for the sake of sanity, don't set the refresh rate to something and don't depend on a specific refresh rate*. If the player wishes to prevent tearing or cap the FPS to their refresh rate, they can set the vertical sync option on their graphics card driver (or make it a graphics option). And if they can't do that, then trust me, they don't care.

* I've played multiple commercial, AAA games (Warcraft III and Age of Empires III come to mind) that set the default refresh rate to something like 72 Hz. Guess what? My monitor doesn't support that at their default resolution, so I was stuck with a black screen. Luckily I found the settings in files or registry values, but many users wouldn't have been able to do that.

Quote:
Original post by marius1930
Any serious gamer is bound to have 75+

Like, all of my friends monitors will not support 75+. Mine supports it, but it does not support it at the resolution that I run my dual monitors with (1440X900 [Widescreen]).

Chad

Quote:
Original post by DevFred
Quote:

LCD screens often have no more than 60 Hz.

That's because LCD monitors don't measure using refresh rate. It's not applicable so it just shows 60 in the settings by default.

Quote:
What monitor in the 20th century only supports 50 hertz?

Many monitors, even those that support 75+ at native resolutions, have much lower refresh rates for non-native display modes.

Quote:
Original post by jagguy2
i will cap i think (as this saves my CPU from burning out:) ).

Is there directx code or do i need logic and gettime() type function

Which version of D3D are you using? In D3D9, you enable VSYNC by specifying D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE as the PresentationInterval member of the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS struct you use when creating a device or resetting it.

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.