DDS Textures Sizes question

Started by
0 comments, last by Atm97fin 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi guys... I'd like to gather some infos regarding texture sizes in DDS format regarding DX7-DX9, not DX10... Looked around, but found nothing of up to date, so, I post this few questions... 1) Up to few years ago, the best max texture size in DDS was 512x512, going past such a limit may dealt to some 'unsupports' on some gfx cards... is this yet true? 2) DDS sizes squared and power of 2, is this yet a DDS rule to follow to draw with DDS? 3) DXT Uncompression, at which level it's really done...? The texture is uncompressed and then stored into Video Memory, or it is just uncompressed on the fly while rendering by the HW...? 4) When I have some objects to deal with, is it more performant to use few smaller textures or a single big txture for each of them ? Tnx for your time Alex
Advertisement
1. No. Modern cards support textures greater than that. The maximum size depends on the card, but most current cards support atleast 1024x1024 textures.

2. DDS format doesn't set the limit to POT textures, but some hw do. HW is optimized for POT textures so one should definitely use them.

3. Textures are compressed in video memory and uncompressed when fetching to texture cache.

4. Definitely one big texture. Switching textures takes alot of time.
EasyGL - easy to use graphics library.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement