Sign in to follow this  

noob here about multiplayer game engine

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can I know how much is a massive multiplayer 3d game engine? How fast do a team of 8-10 with a engine to build a massive online role playing game? With a basic town and 3d characters able to move around?

That depends on a wide variety of factors. For example, how experienced is this team of yours? What quality requirements are you going for?

Bytheway, your question sounds a bit odd. Do you already have an engine, or do you want to build one?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no pre-built 3D MMO engines available for sale. At the very least, you will need to adapt an existing 3D engine (possibly with networking capabilities) and extend it to support MMO-scale operation. Of course, this depends entirely on what you consider to be "massive" - 100 players simultaneously? 1000? 200,000?

As Captain P noted, how fast you can build a game depends entirely on who you're working with and how complex the game is that you want to create. A team of 10 professional developers with years of experience could probably build a simple, small RPG in a few months; but newcomers with no experience may take years to develop all the necessary skills, if they manage to finish the project at all. It's not a minor undertaking.

Guys thanks for the info...

Let's say the team of 10 are experience and i would like to make a game that is "massive player" something like maple story size with different channel, what kind of engine is suitable? And how much does that kind of engine cost roughly?

Maple story is a 2D sidescrolling game. I imagine that such an engine wouldn't be that expensive.

For a 3D engine, it varies. A very high-end professional engine is likely to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. A hobbyist game engine might only cost hundreds (but with a team of 10, that's not what would be considered "hobbyist").

Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
To the best of my knowledge, there are no pre-built 3D MMO engines available for sale.

There are a handful, such as Big World, but you'd have to enquire with them what the cost of licensing is.

Game engines in general range from free, to cheap ($100 - $10,000) to expensive ($100,000 - $300,000) to ridiculously expensive ($750,000 - $1M).

Once you've got an engine and an experienced team, I'd set aside 4 years to make your game.

Thanks alot for more info...

Finally I found an example something similar to what i wanted.
This game come with psp version and pc. According to this game(making it to a massive multiplayer) with a basic town and characters similar to this game, what kind of engine suitable for this game that consist of cell shading/toon shading character?

Example of this game: http://www.filmhobbit.com/moviereviews/william/Games/Gurumin/featureimagemain.jpg

http://www.typhoongames.com/us/games/gurumin/screenshots002.jpg

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.