HGE based .exe runs fine on my computer, but crashes on others [SOLVED]

Started by
6 comments, last by TheAdmiral 16 years, 3 months ago
I've started programming in VC++ express 2008 with the HGE library. I've written a simple app to try out the compiler, and while it runs fine on my machine (running Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium), it gives the following error message when my friend tries to run it on his computer (WinXP pro SP2): "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." I have supplied the hge.dll file and the single graphic file required by the app. Any idea what might have caused this? I assume it's somewhere in the compiler setting, but I don't know where to start. I could upload the project file / .exe if you think that would be necessary. Thanks! [Edited by - padli on January 6, 2008 12:29:15 PM]
Advertisement
I don't know the solution to your problem (and I don't know what HGE is either), but: did you perhaps compile it as 64bit, but trying to run it on a 32bit version of windows? Just a thought.
I've thought about that, but since I'm new to VC++ I'm not sure how to set it to compile in 64-bit/32-bit mode. If the default was 64-bit, then that might be it. I'll look around the docs for the setting, thanks for reminding me.

EDIT: Also, HGE is Haaf's Game Engine, to avoid any ambiguity.
I have no idea, since I do not normally use VC++. I figured since you are running Windows 64bit and it runs on your machine, perhaps the default is whatever your machine is.

I guess google is your friend regarding VC++. Also, perhaps this will help.

EDIT: Another thought - is the hge.dll file which you are providing for your friends computer perhaps a 64bit version? That would explain why it complains about a "incorrect configuration".
"64-bit tools are not available on Visual C++ Express Edition by default. To enable 64-bit tools on Visual C++ Express Edition, install the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) in addition to Visual C++ Express Edition. Otherwise, an error occurs when you attempt to configure a project to target a 64-bit platform using Visual C++ Express Edition."

Well, I guess this rules out 32/64-bit incompatibility as the cause, since I'm completely sure I didn't manually configure it to build 64-bit apps.

EDIT: The hge.dll was not custom built, but provided with the dev kit, so it is certainly 32-bit.
Hmm, in that case, I haven't a clue. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Solution found:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en
Quote:Original post by padli
Solution found...

If this is a small-scale project and you don't want to force the user to install the redistributable, you can link against the VC runtime libraries statically and avoid all the SxS mess.
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement