Sign in to follow this  

ps2 modding?

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by blood sport

Hello,

I have a ps2.I'am wondering if I have to mod my ps2 in order to program it?

I have been told if I program in C I won't need to mod it cause C is a high level program.

This statement shows a basic lack of understanding of what code actually is, you have to understand that all programming languages compile into native code of some kind, or into code that native code interperates and as such are all essentially machine code, but written in high level languages to make it easier for humans to program and read.

It does not matter what you program in, so long as your compiler produces native code which will then run on a target machine. In the PS/2's case it is code that is then stored on a CD/dvd and booted up when the machine scan's the disc.

The PS/2 requires certain bootstrap codes and other copy protection sytems to be present on the CD and in the code, before it will load and run code, modding helps bypass some of that but you still have to understand how the PS2 actually expects the code to be formatted.

This kind of coding is way beyond a beginners ability, learn to code on a PC 1st in C or C++ and once you are comfortable with the concepts of coding and understand the differences between high and low level languages, you can learn how the PC loads its code into memory to run, you will be able to fathom the basics of how a PS/2 loads its code and understand the way homebrew code works.

I think what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way, is don't even attempt to mess with PS/2 coding until you understand a bit more about general coding.

Quote:
Original post by Nytegard
Yes, you will have to mod it. Th2 PS2 has copy protection schemes on the disk to make sure it will not run any non authorized software.

Thanks Nytegard!

Thats what I feared!

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.