Sign in to follow this  

Big Map Buffering Problem

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Dear all Users !! i'm Really happy with this super great Forum... i'm working on a game seems like GTA... i've a map of the virtual world , Radar on the right side which has a small arrow displaying where the player is... my Confusion !! we have a Super Huge World.... with super huge map... it's nearly impossible to load all of it on the ram... are there any theories of cropping a buffer and loading it ? B-T-W the player can move all around this super Huge map...so i need to change this cropped buffer synchronously with his movements .... any suggestions ? thanks in advance... SeQueNceR

Quadtree, kd-tree or similar space-partioning structure, where the static geometry is preprocessed within the level editor (no need to process anything but dynamic objects at run-time).
Then only have the visible node(s) plus the adjacent nodes loaded at any given time.

I think that the OP's orginal concern was just about the map on the HUD not the geometry it self.
I guess what he's trying to say is that this map is to big to fit into a texture or even into VRAM / RAM.
Probably the game is streaming the 3D data etc.
The question then becomes how to update the texture needed to display the map?

i'm really thankful for Paying attention for my thread...

let me clarify my problem... this game will be played on a Mobile... so weak Processor and memory ... there's no 3d rendering all the game is in 2d "Somthing like GTA 2" as shown in this image

http://www.gta.ru/images/gta2/gta2pp.jpg

my problem is that my Map Is Too Big to fit memory in one time. so i need to buffer a little zone... and update this buffer while the player moves...

if there's some theory for this problem just name it & i'll search for it.

thank you again and sorry for disturbance

SeQueNceR

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.