DInput replacement for Win CE

Started by
0 comments, last by johnhattan 16 years, 3 months ago
Because the desktop version of DirectX API cannot be installed on Win CE device, Microsoft has provided D3D mobile edition. Unfortunately, DInput (among other DirectX components) is not available for Win CE. Does anyone know of a pre-written API similar to DInput that can be used so that I don't have to create an input (mouse, keyboard, etc) manager from scratch?
Advertisement
What you're looking for is GAPI, which is a lightweight library for raw screen and key input. It's built into all recent CE gizmos.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms837924.aspx

It's not call-compatible with directx, but it's dirt-simple enough to figure out.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement