Newton Or ODE?

Started by
19 comments, last by erwincoumans 16 years, 3 months ago
OK so I've had some problems finding the right physics engine to use with my game. It uses full sized planets and generates the terrain as you move around. I was using PhysX but I don't have time to cook the meshes every time you walk 20 feet and it has to work on the operating system that my server will be using (Not sure yet...) Seems Newton can be programed for almost any operating system and it does not require me to cook the meshes before I use them but when I use the playground thing and throw a object real fast it gets stuck in walls and stuff. My game is a MMO and if your walking around a city and someones been making things like tables and chairs get stuck on the side of walls it would take away allot of the realism and make the game super crappy. the ODE Physics library seems sound but I've not seem many samples. So I cant really be sure. Has someone used both and can tell me which is better and why?
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Advertisement
From my own experience, ODE is lacking documentation compared to Newton and it is also much buggier than Newton. I am happy that I switched to Newton soon enough :) Although I must say, Newton is far from finished to be honest. I never managed to complex objects such as a chair working yet.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)
Very true ODE is lacking documentation but I'm not sure Newton can do a game like mine its to buggy. I just dont want people to say "Hmm this game is awsome other then when the phsyics go crazy" =/ what I want to know is does newton always do that? or is it just bad programing on that one sample? alsoI'd like to know more about ODE theres like no info? and are these two the best other then PhysX? this is how I think they rank:

1. PhysX
2. Newton
3. ODE

Now PhysX is already out because I simply can not cook the meshes. So is Newton secound best? and is there anyway to make sure objects dont get stuck togather? Does ODE have any problems with objects getting stuck to each other?
Every physics engine has problems with objects getting stuck together. Even Havok. Though havok is brilliant in it's collision resolution. Objects that are penetrating slowly emerge from each other rather than exploding. But to answer your question I personaly would chose ODE, but thats just because I have the most experience with it.
PhysX is better than Havok imo. There is also bullet, which i think is a better choice than newton or ode....

Why don't you just use a physics engine wrapper? That way you can just target a specific engine later or use multiple engines....

As for which one is better for your problem, just try them all with the wrapper, and then you will know.
You should be able to write custom collision routines for Bullet, ODE, Tokamak and JigLib engines that will work with your (presumably) procedural terrain. It's _probably_ easiest/best to use Bullet for this - so long as the rest of the engine is OK for you.

If you decided to continue with PhysX you could spawn threads/processes to cook the areas (in 2D tiles/3D cells) surrounding the active area as the game runs (caching to either file or memory) - though this depends on how fast the cooking is, and whether you can cope with the situation where the cooked data isn't generated fast enough....
PhysX is completely out of question there is no way I have time to cook the meshes. And no not all physics engines have objects that get stuck together. PhysX never had objects that stuck together and trust me I put it though some real rough tests.
Quote:Original post by e64
Why don't you just use a physics engine wrapper? That way you can just target a specific engine later or use multiple engines....

As for which one is better for your problem, just try them all with the wrapper, and then you will know.

Very nice!!!! although I would still have to reprogram it after I find the right one. =/
I tried bullet, but it continuously crashed with failed assertions. So I tried ODE, which sometimes crashes with failed assertions. I'm now playing with newton, yet to construct a demo however.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement