welding vertices, 3d studio max

Started by
4 comments, last by Sycle 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I hope I'm posting on the right forum. I have never figured out how to weld vertices from object 1 to object 2. By object, I mean meshes. I know how to weld vertices when the vertices are on the same object. I did a quick search and I only got 5 links like this one http://www.secondpicture.com/tutorials/3d/3d_modeling_a_nose_in_3ds_max.html but that's vertices on the same mesh.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Advertisement
Well, usually you merge the 2 meshes and then weld the vertices, if for some reason you need the two meshes to be separate, then you don't weld the vertices, you snap them together, I don't really know whats the work flow of that in Max though.
As Kwizatz says, you must first add the two meshes together, It is impossible to weld two verts together from two seperate meshes and have them stay seperate. Just because of the very fact that when you weld two verts togther they're now one mesh.
To add a two or more meshes together in max:
Select one of the objects you want to add together. Collapse into "editable poly", Under the edit tab (If i remember right), click on the button that says attach. Now you will have a list of meshes that you can attach, select the ones you want to attach, and hit ok.
Done

Now they're one mesh and you can weld them just as you would any other mesh. There are different weld types, but i usually use the one under the edit tab under the "editable polygon" menu/modifier. However, you may have to remove some faces to be able to weld together some meshes. For example, two boxes side by side, if you want to connect them, to where you will have four verts welded, you will need to remove the face on each box that is on the side to be welded. This is because you can't weld verts together and try to seal up a mesh where there are faces. The faces must go, then you have empty space to weld to.
I'm going to cover this in my sticky topic one of these days, whenever i have some free time ;-)
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Well, usually you merge the 2 meshes and then weld the vertices, if for some reason you need the two meshes to be separate, then you don't weld the vertices, you snap them together, I don't really know whats the work flow of that in Max though.

That depends on what you mean by snap. From what I remember, there is a snap feature but that snaps vertices to some cartersian coordinates.

To be clear, I don't want the vertices to become one, I just want their XYZ values to be identical. Their texcoord might be different. Also, each mesh would have a different texture.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by V-man
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz

That depends on what you mean by snap. From what I remember, there is a snap feature but that snaps vertices to some cartersian coordinates.

To be clear, I don't want the vertices to become one, I just want their XYZ values to be identical. Their texcoord might be different. Also, each mesh would have a different texture.

you can set the coordinates for each vertice if you want so that they are in the same positions. Its not welding if they don't become one though.
Brett Biery2D/3D Artist and Graphic DesignNewbie Programmer
If you right click the Snaps Toggle button it'll let you pick what it's snapping to. If you tick "Vertex" and untick everything else, you can move the verts of object A and they'll snap to the position of verts on object B.

As long as the mesh isn't too dense, this can be a quick and painless way of doing what you're describing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement