Sign in to follow this  

msvcr71.dll problem

This topic is 3632 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, so i compiled and built my exe witch is just the black screen with my game engine not doing much. when i tryed using it it said i was missind a DLL. I was like, "ok, i'll download it". worked fine but it said i'm missing another. "kay download" and then... it said i was missing another "um, kay no problem as long as it will work in the end." so i downloaded the missing msvcr71.dll and it gave me this message. It's driving me crazy, I've reinstalled it so many times. Nothing is working. here is a pic of my error message. Photobucket

Probably a bad DLL version. What do you mean you "downloaded" the DLL? The DLL is part of Visual Studio 2003 (Or maybe 2005), if you built the exe you should already have it, and if not you should be using the VC redist package (Not sure if the link is different for VS2003).

I'm using vc++ 2008 express (vc++9.0).
It said i was missing the .dll file, so i got it from dll-files.com, but then it game me that error when i placed it in the folder with my .exe in it. (which has all the other funtional neccesary .dll files for my engine)

it sounds like you have the wrong version of msvcr71.dll. the dll should be in your windows/system folder and should have been put there when you installed vc 2008.

i would try redownloading vc2008.

I've looked into this when I distributed my game, and basically you should use the redist in the 2008 folder. Dont bother to look for it if you are using the express version, it wasn't there in the 2005 version, so I guess it isn't included with 2008.
There are 2 different dll's for 2005 with the same name (but different version signatures), so don't just look at the name. Placing them in the same directory as the exe wont work since the dll loading routine has changed since 2005 (the new type of dll's are called side by side assemblies btw) for the new crt's (among other libraries) so the files can't be placed at the same locations as before(though old dll's should work the same as before). The new CRT dlls can be found in your windows\SxS\ directory, not in the system(32) directory (for example) were the old ones were located.

This is a reference that I think I used heavily (the reference was on codeproject and this seems to fit the bill).
If you need a real world example you can see how I distributed my game lolball (shamless plug), though it was made in 2005, not 2008 so copying the files/maps probably wont work.

If I had more time i could have cleaned up this messy post, but I hope that helps :)

This topic is 3632 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.