Sign in to follow this  

Some beginner questions. Plz help.

This topic is 3626 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I have some questions in my mind that I couldn't find any answers to them. As a beginner to game development, for now all I want to do is to model a character in a 3D modeling program (specifically I will use "blender"), export it to directX's .X file format. I would like to use C++ language to display the model and play its animations(like running, walking, jumping so on...) Now the questions that comes to my mind is: 1) What things can be exported? I now that meshes and animations as well as textures can be exported. What about, say, the hair or beard of the character that are done using the particle systems? (Not with textures) 2) In modeling programs, shaders for realistic graphics are provided. But of course they are not exported to .X file format. Is there anyway to use those shaders that are used in the modeling programs? I mean, do I necessarily have to learn shader programming for this purpose? If so, would you please point me to a good tutorial? I am sorry, if I am asking stupid questions, hope that I am not doing so:) All I want to do is to create a realistic hi-poly character, display it using shaders and play its animations. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

1) What things can be exported? I now that meshes and animations as well as textures can be exported. What about, say, the hair or beard of the character that are done using the particle systems? (Not with textures)

That depends on the modelling tool, how you have constructed the model, and the exporter. You can't say in general. I don't think Blender's .X exporter will do anything with particle systems; it generally only groks polymesh data and animation.

Quote:

2) In modeling programs, shaders for realistic graphics are provided. But of course they are not exported to .X file format. Is there anyway to use those shaders that are used in the modeling programs? I mean, do I necessarily have to learn shader programming for this purpose? If so, would you please point me to a good tutorial?

Some modellers allow you to export materials as HLSL, GLSL, Cg, or D3D Effect files. You still need to understand shader programming to an extent to use these in your code.

This topic is 3626 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.