[java] Good book for Java 3d game dev?

Started by
6 comments, last by haxpor 16 years, 2 months ago
Any of you fellow programmers know of a good book for game development using Java's 3D API? Thanks, and have a good one. :)
Advertisement
I don't use Java 3D at all (I'm more of a JOGL person myself), but I would suggest Killer Game Programming in Java. I haven't read the Java3D chapters, but I have quickly read through some of the other chapters like JOGL and Networking and they seemed good. There is also the Java 3D tutorial--although it is somewhat old.

Greggles
You should try to avoid Java 3D. You should use JMonkey Engine or Xith3D. There are others also. A search on java 3d scenegraph should find them.

[Edited by - CaptainJester on January 8, 2008 10:52:36 AM]
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
I think I'll try to look into some JOGL 3D to see how that goes. I also have run through Sun's Java 3D tutorial, it has a lot of information on the classes and what not, but I can see it being out dated.

[Edited by - agm_ultimatex on January 8, 2008 3:21:11 PM]
Like everyone else suggested, try to avoid Java3D. I recommend looking at how 3d programming works and start out writing software rendering apps. Then apply that knowledge with various opengl bindings such as LWJGL. A very good book that teaches this is Developing Games in Java By: David Brackeen
Quote:Original post by JavaMan22
I recommend looking at how 3d programming works and start out writing software rendering apps. Then apply that knowledge with various opengl bindings such as LWJGL.

By 3d rendering apps, do you mean simple animations and so forth? I've done a bit of OpenGl/C++ stuff in the past fall semester. Make simple shapes such as a bunch of squares positioned to be a dog and such.

Also, is JOGL capable of running as an applet without having to download a seperate package or anything?

[Edited by - agm_ultimatex on January 8, 2008 6:18:28 PM]
Quote:Original post by agm_ultimatex
Also, is JOGL capable of running as an applet without having to download a seperate package or anything?

Depends on what you mean by download. Here's my applet, you DO download libraries at the beginning (specifically jogl and gluegen) but no. there is no need to make your users download and install other libraries.
Maybe you can try to look at this one 'Developing Games in Java, by David Backeen'.

This book is divided into 2 big parts, 2d stuff and 3d stuff. Along the way you learn up from the ground, this book teach you to create your game engine.

I think it is very that you try to create your own engine first, just before look to use other ones. :)
Just keep doing!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement