[Re]Beginner question ( please help with suggestions )

Started by
4 comments, last by Djgamez24 16 years, 3 months ago
Okay, so I've stopped programming, I did some 2d games, some 3d apps but nothing fancy... I have decided to start again with game programming but for that I need to be absolutely clear on C++ ... now for my question ... I want to start from the beginning, from scratch, from 0, what should I go trough in order to have a easy switch to basic game programming ( the kind of game that works without graphics ) ? And as another plea for help, I would like suggestions on small console projects I could do in order to better understand C++ ... Hope I was clear with my questions and I thank you in advance for your help
Advertisement
As for small console games:
- Guess the number(PC takes a random number between 0 and 100 and you have to guess)
- TicTacToe console style
- Ascii pyramid:

- Simple text RPG in the form of pre-fixed menus and game modules loaded from disk

I assume you want to go with C++, which is fine. As a suggestion to other posters: Don't suggest other languages, just answer his questions.

Toolmaker

This type of occurrence is typical in the beginning Game Developer, why? Because they are eager to get to actually creating a 3d game other then mastering the fundamentals.

I recommend picking a book up that only covers C++. Why do this? Because it will only strengthen your understanding of the language you will be working with. If you pick up a programming book that’s focused on game programming; you may not cover some of the features c++ has to offer nor will it may not explain things in great detail. So first read a book with the primary focus of your chosen language then and only then pick up a book that has a focus to that of which you want to accomplish(Game programming in your case). It sounds like it will take a while to even start making games, yes but no. It will take you longer to get started to create a game but you will understand it a whole lot better. Also you wont have to start over again ;)
first go through these tutorials Here and then google for more c++ tutorials.

Once you think you have a semi-solid foundation (the tutorials should have you do a few demo programs, like guess the number), then start working on maybe a text rpg, text based tic-tac-toe, guess the number (if it hasn't already been done), hangman (well just don't draw the person and just have them guess the word), and finally a maze game (where the maze is constructed out of ascii characters, and the user can input 8 for up, 4 for left, 2 for down, and 6 for right (look at the keypad and you'll understand)).

Once you've done that, start working with a prebuilt library and start working on a game with 2D graphics (perhaps SDL would be a good choice for you). Make a couple 2D games and work with fractals. Then move on to 3D after you have a solid grasp on 2D (for 3D, Ogre, Irrlicht, CrystalSpace, or some other rendering engine (there are a billion) will do the nasty behind the scenes work for you and allow you to make the game without having to get down and dirty with file formats, graphics API's, etc.). Once you have a firm foundation with 3D work, and you are used to a 3D rendering engine, then start working on you own 3D rendering engine (but only if you want, you can always stick with other engines), and make another bigger, more advanced, more complex game.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Thank you for your quick replies :o

MikeTacular: I will go trough them again :) I already did tic tac toe, random number, console RPG but will start again from scratch :)

Djgamez24: That's actually what I'm trying to do, start from scratch, I have a book on C++ but I don't like reading cpp books that much, I'm more of a trial and error guy

Toolmaker: I am not sure what that ascii pyramid is supposed to do , is it just a loop based output of *'s ?

Thanks again for the info, I have another question, I used code::blocks... Should I stick with it or should I try Visual Cpp again ? ( I tried it 2 times but I can't seem to be using it right :P C::B seems much more easier for me )

The IDE is obviously the users preference. You should use the one that you’re most comfortable with, however, you should weigh the pros and cons of both and justify which you want to use. If you can’t seem to understand an IDE or certain features of one then google can help ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement