Sign in to follow this  

XNA License question

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know what the deal is with the XNA license and making games for the PC? Basically I'm only concerned about putting out a game for PC, and I want to be able to make money off of it. What are the restrictions? I know how it is for the Xbox360 but not for the PC. I heard it's just easier. Well, how much easier? I want to know this now before I switch over then find out later that Microsoft won't let me publish my game. I would like to be able to ship it neatly and simple so the customer won't have to install XNA and sign up for all these things, since that will obviously hurt my product. A simple installer would be perfect. To make a long story short, I think I am in love with XNA. I would be very sad if I couldn't put my game out with it.

You can sell your XNA game commercially for Windows so long as it does not utilize any of the Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net namespace or any other LIVE functionality. I believe this includes profiles, but I'm not 100% sure.

All in all, they're pretty lenient on the Windows side in regards to licensing. Afterall, they have to compete with the already very open market of free tools for building PC games. They couldn't logical impose many restrictions on that market.

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.