Sign in to follow this  

Issue with portfolio

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently developing a project for my personal portfolio (this project would not be sold and is not associated with any company in particular.) The project requires collision detection, so I looked online for some information on a collision algorithm. I found one, but the problem is that the algorithm is under a US patent ("Method for determining whether two rectangles of an electronic circuit structure overlap", patent #6914617) I am wondering: 1. Can I use this algorithm? 2. If I can use this algorithm, would it be acceptable to include it into the project? 3. If I can include it into the project, how should I reference it? Thank you in advance.

Okay, I'm not 100% sure about this.

As far as I have understood patents in US :
If it doesn't restrict (by stating it in there) you from using it in your hobby project I think you can use it. But if you are going to sell it, then you'll have to pay for it.

But I might be wrong. I'd also like to know more specifics on how to work with patents. :)

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.