is Code::Blocks an acceptable C compiler for professional games?

Started by
53 comments, last by Boder 16 years, 2 months ago
I have not used CB, so I can't comment on it, but I will say that Visual Studio is a very nice IDE, relatively easy to use and includes pretty much all the functionality most would want. My personal favorite is wxdev-c++. It is built off the core of dev-c++ (which was, for its time, a great IDE... but that time has long passed) and fixes a lot of the problems with it while adding more features and better library support.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Saya
Im not professional or anything but personally I prefer Linux as a programming environment because for instance you have all the development libraries at hand and the man pages installed.

That isn't the case if you're using Ubuntu, unless you enjoy spending hours downloading them from the main Ubuntu repository. And I fear other distros are moving the same way, too.

Of course, since the Windows SDK is a gigantanormous download itself...

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Quote:Original post by Forestknight25
I think I'm gonna stick with Code::Blocks

But about the compiler spiel, I downloaded C::B with something called the "MINGW Compiler." I have no idea what the heck that is, but it sounds imposing and hard to use. I also tried downloading GCC, but the mirrors wouldn't work, and I dunno how to get it to work with Code::Blocks properly. Is there a way I could download GCC via Code::Blocks, since the two programs are designed to work with each other?

MinGW basically ports/packages GCC to Windows. You'll want it.

Also, Code::Blocks can use the Windows SDK or Visual C++ compilers if you so wish. It should automatically detect them on your system.
To throw my opinions in, I believe C::B to be a great IDE! I tried VC++, but it was so bloated (what was it, 2 Gigs?!?) with fluff I did not need.

Setup on C::B is superior, I'd say. Install it, start it, choose a compiler, your done!

FlyingIsFun1217
Quote:Original post by coldacid

That isn't the case if you're using Ubuntu, unless you enjoy spending hours downloading them from the main Ubuntu repository. And I fear other distros are moving the same way, too.

Of course, since the Windows SDK is a gigantanormous download itself...

Actually you just have to install the build-essential package on ubuntu and a few developpement libraries like SDL and Opengl. But installing them is just a matter of installing the package ( no need to spend time puting the right file at the right location etc ) and adding '-lLIBNAME' at the end of your compile instruction.
This thread has sparked my interest. I'm currently using Eclipse with the CDT plugin on Linux for my IDE for my C++ projects. How would you guys say Code::Blocks compares to Eclipse+CDT.

I'm currently working on a cross platform project so Code::Blocks sounds interesting. It is really annoying to be juggling 2 different IDEs when testing different platforms. Does Code::Blocks have the same project file structure for every OS? IE if I have my project set up and working in Linux, I can open up the same project on windows?

When I get home I'll check this out.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie

Quote:
Also for what it's worth, I've never met a professor or teacher that actually liked Visual Studio.

By way of contrast, I've met very few professors who knew anything about practical software development. Academics almost universally favor *nix-style tools, because of the culture of academia (among various impractical and idiotic conventions, there's the valid convention that academia is research-focused and thus more concerned with implementing functionality versus making that functional practical from a user perspective -- so they don't screw around with interfaces or neccessarily even great software design, they simply implement their research as a proof-of-concept; this endears them to the simplistic realm of command-line tools).

Oi! I was an academic who used Visual Studio almost exclusively, and paid close attention to practical software development (not only because it was quite important to the project), but I was a medical researcher, not a computer scientist.
Quote:Original post by gregs

Oi! I was an academic who used Visual Studio almost exclusively, and paid close attention to practical software development (not only because it was quite important to the project), but I was a medical researcher, not a computer scientist.

I know the feeling. I was a Computer Engineering major, and as research project I developed a neural-net based facial detection system. I'd always get a few snarky comments when I'd tell professors and friends in the CS department that I was using VS exclusively.
Code::Blocks isn't a compiler, it's an IDE. It's set up to work with any compiler you want. Someone said they didn't like all the plugins it came loaded with. You can disable that at runtime in the plugins menu, like I do. Just use the ones you want.

Personally, I've always preferred using Code::Blocks as the editor, with Visual C++ Express as the compiler. The VS IDE always seems to want to consume my whole system while it's running. Code::Blocks doesn't do that, and I just disable everything to the point where I just have syntax highlighting, and a button to hit when I want to compile.

VS is a nice IDE otherwise. I just doubled my ram. So I might get VSC++ Express 2008 and see how that goes.

@ The guy who asked about MinGW. MinGW is GCC for windows. You already have GCC.
The only professors I've ever seen not using Visual Studio (at least for C or C++ related classes) were my intro to systems programming and my Operating Systems professors. My school might be an anomaly though. Most professors seemed to have become professors only after having spent some time in the industry.

Personally I use Visual Studio at home (I only develop for windows at home). I also use Visual Studio at work, where I program in a Windows environment (although I program exclusively FOR other environments. Namely Wii and PSP). Visual Studio is a great tool and you can use other compilers. I haven't personally used Code::Blocks yet, so I won't comment on it, but if you're developing for the Windows platform especially, you can't do much better than the Visual Studio tools (great debugging tools. Wish I could use them at work).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement