Sign in to follow this  

Detailed Textures

This topic is 3627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am searching for a way to use high resolution textures without the necessarily needed memory consumption, something like procedural textures, but with less computational effort. Is there any technique available which I could use?

maybe search for virtual textures,

or create your textures out of smaller tiles with certain blend factors using a uniform grid in texture space
render the required texture into a render target(render to texture) and bind that target as texture source when rendering the actual geometry

I plan to do this to implement my one low memory consuming mega texture for terrain rendering

There is another very nice technique - Clipmapping - F.e. this article http://wscg.zcu.cz/WSCG2007/Papers_2007/full/A89-full.pdf Carmacks megatexture is based on clipmapping. I'm using similar technique (I used it before Carmacks Megatexture has come, then i used texture splatting - texturing in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars gave me impulse to little optimise code and use it again :), so clipmapping is very high quality method!)

This topic is 3627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.