Boost.Python and VC9 troubles

Started by
7 comments, last by Toni Petrina 16 years, 3 months ago
Has anyone successfully compiled Boost.Python on VC9? I am becoming very frustrated with stupid errors it spits out. And google is no help either. In case you wonder, here is the error
notice: [python-cfg] Configuring python...
notice: [python-cfg] Registry indicates Python 2.4 installed at "C:\Program Files\Python24\"
notice: [python-cfg] Checking interpreter command "python"...
notice: [python-cfg] running command 'python -c "from sys import *;
 print 'version=%d.%d\nplatform=%s\nprefix=%s\nexec_prefix=%s\nexecutable=%s' % 
(version_info[0],version_info[1],platform,prefix,exec_prefix,executable)" 2>&1'
notice: [python-cfg] ...does not invoke a working interpreter
notice: [python-cfg] Checking interpreter command "C:\Program Files\Python24\python"...
notice: [python-cfg] running command 'DIR /-C /A:S C:\Program Files\Python24\python.exe 2>&1'
notice: [python-cfg] running command 'C:\Program Files\Python24\python -c "from sys import *;
 print 'version=%d.%d\nplatform=%s\nprefix=%s\nexec_prefix=%s\nexecutable=%s'
 % (version_info[0],version_info[1],platform,prefix,exec_prefix,executable)" 2>&1'
notice: [python-cfg] ...does not invoke a working interpreter
notice: [python-cfg] No working Python interpreter found.
notice: [python-cfg] falling back to "python"
notice: [python-cfg] Details of this Python configuration:
notice: [python-cfg]   interpreter command: "python"
notice: [python-cfg]   include path: "Include"
notice: [python-cfg]   library path: "\libs"
notice: [python-cfg]   DLL search path: "<empty>"
So... Muira Yoshimoto sliced off his head, walked 8 miles, and defeated a Mongolian horde... by beating them with his head?

Documentation? "We are writing games, we don't have to document anything".
Advertisement
I had successfully compiled Boost.Python with VC9. I had no problems in compilation. I did checkout Boost from the repository, instead of the 1.34 stable.
Thanks, I'll try that.
So... Muira Yoshimoto sliced off his head, walked 8 miles, and defeated a Mongolian horde... by beating them with his head?

From those errors it looks like the Python executable is not on your PATH, have you checked that?
No, it wasn't. But now I have another problem, when running bjam in boost/libs/python/build I only get one target build (although it says 36 targets found)
boost_python-vc-gd-1_35.dll

Any ideas?

Wow, that's weird. It's vc-gd and not vc90-gd? Boost marks the version of VC++ used to compile. I had no problems building the various targets on my end. I did explicitly state release and debug builds when instruction bjam to build the library, but technically it should not make a single bit of difference. Omitting targets means all get built automatically.

Apologies, but I don't know why you are running into this problem.
It is because I wrote toolkit instead of toolset :P Anyway, after compiling with toolset=msvc-9.0 I've got
boost_python-vc90-mt-gd-1_35.dll
in
D:\Modules\boost\bin.v2\libs\python\build\msvc-9.0\debug\threading-multi

And nothing else. Last time I compiled 1.33.1 version all targets were compiled, debug and release, static and dynamic, single and multi threaded. I can't find instructions for explicitly building other targets (maybe I don't see something). What did you use?

If you can't get bjam to work, you could try adding the boost::python sources directly to your project. Instruction to do so are at the end of this article.
I've fixed it by simply compiling entire boost. Now all I need to do is to fix header for auto linking so that it finds vc90 and not vc80 dll's.

Thanks for your help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement