Sign in to follow this  

OOP approach to connect 4

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, So I've finished programming a simple tic tac toe game using C++ and SDL, so I decided to make another harder board game before I do something that's more animated. So far my main problem is that I often feel like what I am doing is "hackey" workarounds to get some of the parts working. Here's my basic setup: Main (here is where the game loop lets the player take a turn, and where the cpu's turn is called) GameBoard (right now the board handles managing the 2D array of pieces, the game board also handles the rendering of the board within the class, I put in a drawBoard() function. The board has four SDL surface objects (redpeg,background,blackpeg, and message), is it poor design to use several SDL_Surfaces, I mean in a more complicated game would you instead do image swapping out of a vector of surfaces or something?) CPU Player (right now this does nothing, but I intend to call the cpus turn from main and pass it a reference to the board. In here it will scan the board for the players potential connect 4's in order to block them, and if there are none it will try and drop a peg in order to increase it's longest connection chain). I also don't really like my algorithms for checking for a win, but I can't think of a better way. Right now I scan the last peg that is dropped for horizontal wins, vertical wins, diagonal top to bottom wins, and diagonal bottom to top wins). I considered having some sort of vector of pegChain objects but couldn't figure out how that would work without even more calculations than the just doing the scans. Does anyone have suggestions on how I should split up and organize a game of connect 4. I'm unclear about where rendering should be in games, in this game the only thing that needs to be rendered is the board, but if for example I had a game with multiple characters and backgrounds would you have the rendering in the character objects themself, or somewhere else?

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.