Carnage ! (updated 24/7)

Started by
24 comments, last by RamboPowPow 16 years, 1 month ago
New update !

Check the first post for the download link !

New version contains :
-Mouse aiming (goto controls menu to select it)
-Intro menus (to explain some subtleties about the level)
-Death menus (to know how well you've done)
-New level (Hard classic mode. REALLY HARD !)

The mouse control should make things A LOT easier for beginners. As for me, I realized that playing with the mouse was quite hard. But everyone I've asked said it's much easier than playing with the keyboard. The problem is that I've spent so much time playing with the keyboard that i didn't realize how hard the game really is. The next iteration will probably focus on either making an easier level, or on creating the first 'large' level. Probably both at once.

I'd really like to have feedback on the mouse control in particular ! Has it made it easier for you ? More enjoyable ? Less enjoyable ?

If your new to the game, i suggest spending time in classic/atomic mode before trying spider carnage. I do not expect many people will be able to get through Double spider carnage or Hard Classic Carnage, because they are very hard. If you manage to do it, GOOD JOB !

I'm still looking for 1 or more 2D artists to help me with the game ! If your interested, your task would be to create new enemies, backgrounds, bullets, explosions...

Advertisement
Sounds and looks interesting! I wanted to give it a try and give my feedback, but I couldn't get the game to run. I have DirectX 9.0c and Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0, and 3.0, and 3.5, with approppriate SP updates.

When running, I only get a gray window on the desktop and an error dialog, that gives this result:

See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.************** Exception Text **************Error in the application.-2146232832 (Unknown)   at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device..ctor(Int32 adapter, DeviceType deviceType, IntPtr renderWindowHandle, CreateFlags behaviorFlags, PresentParameters presentationParameters)   at JeuNet.Mod_Direct3D.InitDevice(Control Ctl, PresentParameters pp)   at JeuNet.Mod_Direct3D.InitializeDirectX(Control Ctl, Int32 intScreenWidth, Int32 intScreenHeight, Boolean bWindowed, Int32 bitsPerPixel)   at JeuNet.frmGame.frmGame_Activated(Object sender, EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnActivated(EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Active(Boolean value)   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmActivate(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)************** Loaded Assemblies **************mscorlib    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll----------------------------------------Project1    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jani/Omat%20tiedostot/TotalCarnageX/Project1.exe----------------------------------------JeuNet    Assembly Version: 1.0.2945.30938    Win32 Version: 1.0.2945.30938    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jani/Omat%20tiedostot/TotalCarnageX/JeuNet.DLL----------------------------------------System.Windows.Forms    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll----------------------------------------System    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll----------------------------------------System.Drawing    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll----------------------------------------Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw    Assembly Version: 1.0.900.0    Win32 Version: 5.3.0000000.900 built by: DIRECTX    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jani/Omat%20tiedostot/TotalCarnageX/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.DLL----------------------------------------Microsoft.DirectX    Assembly Version: 1.0.900.0    Win32 Version: 5.3.0000000.900 built by: DIRECTX    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jani/Omat%20tiedostot/TotalCarnageX/Microsoft.DirectX.DLL----------------------------------------Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D    Assembly Version: 1.0.900.0    Win32 Version: 5.3.0000000.900 built by: DIRECTX    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jani/Omat%20tiedostot/TotalCarnageX/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.DLL----------------------------------------Microsoft.VisualBasic    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll----------------------------------------Bass.Net    Assembly Version: 2.3.1.8    Win32 Version: 2.3.1.8    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jani/Omat%20tiedostot/TotalCarnageX/Bass.Net.DLL----------------------------------------************** JIT Debugging **************To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for thisapplication or computer (machine.config) must have thejitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.The application must also be compiled with debuggingenabled.For example:<configuration>    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /></configuration>When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exceptionwill be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computerrather than be handled by this dialog box.

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L6825 laptop with 512 MB memory, Intel Celeron 2.80GHz CPU, and Intel 82845G Graphics Controller.
I think i know what the problem is. I guess your video card doesn't support hardware vertex processing. I took my DX initialization code from the web and the way the hardware vertex processing failure was trapped and then redirected to software processing did not work. So i just removed the software processing code, thinking that no one with a good enough machine to play wouldn't have that capability. But from your system specs, i think your machine could handle the game at a smooth 60 FPS, yet not support hardware vertex processing... I'll post a message when i will have updated the download link for a version that supports it. Sorry about that !
I updated the download link to support software vertex processing... i m pretty sure that was the problem.

Also, this version has a very minor graphical improvement. You will now see the baby spiders pop from the ground when they spawn in hard classic mode.

I forgot to specify it, but since the last version, the game is now compatible with x64 computers (it used to crash on x64).
Yup! Works now! And frame update is good and fast. I found the game extremely hard, but I might not be the target audience :D All in all, pretty solid. Oh, the texts sometimes "rolled" or something, hard to explain...
extremely hard even while using mouse for gun aiming? that option is available in the controls menu. I'm surprised about the rolling text thing, as i cannot figure out what that means. Also, you shouldn't attempt hard classic and double spider until you've played many many hours o_O

Did rolling text mean slow update when there is text?

the way i currently render the text is extremely slow, and is the only optimization i plan on doing to the game. when the menu is over the game replay, i have found that the game runs about 3 times slower than if i removed the text from the menu buttons... i guess directx font object is too convenient to be fast... i probably can find a way to cache the text and reuse it at each frames rather than redrawing it each time. It's something i plan to do but it's not a priority.

I get the feedback that the game is too hard a lot. I'll try to incorporate some easier levels :-)
Ran nicely for me, and was fun. I didn't like the WASD + Arrow Keys controls, but I changed it to WASD + Mouse and was a happy camper. All the different game modes kept me satisfied difficulty-wise. I would have liked to be able to shoot in any direction, especially since I was using the mouse. That gun sure does spread a lot. :D

I really liked the animation of the spider's neck attack. Quite amusing. I agree that it moving the player would be fun. At first, I didn't know that it was doing any damage to me. (Until I died, that is. [wink])
Wow pretty nice game! Its fun but very challenging. I wasn't able to survive more than 1:30 in any mode!

Found it fun?
Yup, but the difficulty was a tad too high for me =). I couldn't fully enjoy it as my speakers were muted but it's great. It doesn't have the same "feel" than Geometry Wars though. You should try Geometry Wars (if you haven't got a 360 nearby, try "Grid Wars" which is a free, nearly pixel-perfect clone. It could however be hard to find off the internet as they had legal issues with Bizarre Creations (creators of Geometry Wars)).

How is the difficulty ? Too hard or just right ?
Oops I just answered that one. I found the game hard but I only played once in each mode so I can't tell you to lower the difficulty.

Bigger sized levels
Wouldn't add much, but rooms could be nice. After some time in a room no more enemies spawn and, when you've killed those that remain, you can go to the next room where a bunch of blood-thirsty foes await you.

You should make the explosions faster, they don't feel realistic/dynamic currently.

Funny this game's called "Total Carnage", not so long ago I did a game that was pretty much the same style which I had called Maximum Karnage 2.6. It was much less complete than your game but featured leveling-up and bullet-time/slow-motion. Here's a screenshot :
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Glad that you liked it :-)

Trillian : Yes I've played Grid wars and liked that, but i know it doesn't feel exactly the same as my game, but theres some resemblances. I guess the title I got is not original though :( i found out a while ago theres an arcade game called Total Carnage that came out for the arcade years ago. I'm still sad about it because i thought Total Carnage was the perfect name for the game. What's especially funny about it is that it had the same control scheme as my game, and was the follow up to smash tv, which is my true inspiration for this game.

Oh, and Maximum Carnage already exists too :( it's an old SNES SpiderMan game.

When i said it's in the style of geometry wars, i was trying to compare it to something a bit more of up to date than the 15-20 years old smash tv!

It's funny because i too thought about implementing bullet time in the game, but decided to slow down the enemy bullets instead as i thought it allowed me to go crazier with the challenge level while also not implementing an unnecessary layer of complexity

I followed your advice to speed up the explosion animations. It does look a bit more visceral which i like. On the downside, the screen is less filled with the nice plasma gun explosions. I'm not sure which i like better, but I'll leave it with the faster explosions for a month and rethink that decision after. The one thing i think helped the most in making the explosions better was to speed up (5 times faster) the display of the first 3 frames, because it used to take about 1 fourth of a second before you could notice the explosion forming itself. Now it takes 3/60 th of a second. The remaining frames are barely sped up though (switch image every 4 frames instead of 5 (at 60 FPS))

Anyways, you will get to see that in my next release which should be included in about 2-3 weeks and will feature a new enemy, that will hopefully force the player to move some more. It's going to be a bull with an invincible head that will charge the player, but need to slowdown/stop to rotate. The player will need to dodge him and attack him in the flanks.

nice!

needs sound when shootingm hitting stuff, being damaged.
Maybe better pictures. Seems very paintbrush.
Upgrades, new weapons, bombs etc is fun

Overall nice
E

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement