Sign in to follow this  

Binding Vertex buffers for just 10 vertices?

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there! I have some billboards in my engine and I don't know how to handle them. The billboards are: one quad for each light, maybe one quad for some screen splash and some quads for Lens Flare Effects. ( And who knows what else I may think :P ) Now I have to vreate vertex buffers for them so I can render them. A lot of buffer binding for just 10 vertices! what do you think? Any idea how to handle these more efficiently? I use D3D10 btw.. Thanks for your time!

Hi,

I am using D3D9 but I assume it works the same way under D3D 10.

For drawing little stuff like that, I have a dynamic vertex buffer of a certain size (few thousand vertices) and I fill it dynamically when ever I need to draw such things. The performance hit should be minimal if you minimize the buffer changes.

Best regards!

Remember that when rendering you can specify a subset of geometry from a bound vertex buffer. This allows you to pack 10 (for example) models worth of geometry into a single buffer and render each individually.

The only real restriction is in the vertex format being the same, other than that its just a case of software architecture - e.g. does it convolute the design to have 1 'super buffer'? etc..etc..

Is any profiling information indicating that this is your bottleneck? If not, I wouldn't worry hugely about it for now. Refactoring this sort of thing tends to be little more than time consuming [smile]

hth
Jack

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.