Sign in to follow this  

GPU Geometry Clipmap Texturing

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I've implemented "Terrain Rendering Using GPU-Based GeometryClipmaps" algorithm with frustum culling, instancing, normal maps, procedural texturing etc... And now I want to implement texturing of terrain other than procedural texturing. Because I want to cover terrain area with a lot of texture data. A lot of texture data means a lot of alpha map. (Texture Splatting) These method reduces the performance of the application. Because I send the alpha map to the shader program. When user updating the alpha map or editing the terrain texture, I send the updating alpha map to the shader program. !!! Thank you very much for your help.

I personally recommend using a software cache for your textures. Rather than compositing your blends in the 3D pass (by either multipass rendering, or blending in the pixel shader) you composite the texture in a 2D pass, and store the result to a texture; thus leaving your 3D pass to simply draw one texture (allowing you to increase the vertex load if you wish). As a chunk moves in and out of visibility, its' texture can be moved in and out of the cache.

~Main

You could add a texture per clipmap level & blend between them like you did for normal/elevation data. That texture per clipmap could be done once when you update alpha ( like duhroach suggested it ) & use toroidal updates when you move.

Yea, the caching approach makes it really easy to generate multiple mips of a given texture to use for multiple concepts.

if you REALLY want to get tricky, you can write a superfast DXT compressor, and after you're done compositing in 2D, compress the texture to the cache. (this will decrease your cache memory footprint by a massive amount)

~Main

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.