Sign in to follow this  

Unity py2exe for packaging

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there! I hope everyone's had a spectacular holiday season! I took a look at py2exe since that seems to be the tool of choice for distributing games developed in Python. However, the py2exe project hasn't had a release for a while and I am concerned that the decision to rely on py2exe for a commercial release might not be sound. I see two possible resolutions: 1. Alternatives to py2exe: are there any? 2. Using C++ to wrap the code (perhaps moving some of the code to C++ as well) and build it with a C++ compiler. Is this a viable way to go? The experience of the community here has been invaluable for our project. As always, thank you very much for your insight. All the best for the new year! Alex

I never used Python but if its just a scripting language then you could just create an ordianary exe with c++ and call some sort of main inside the script and handle things from there on inside Python. But like I said, I never used Python and I don't know if it needs any other things set up and the like.

Quote:
Original post by Kipple
I took a look at py2exe since that seems to be the tool of choice for distributing games developed in Python. However, the py2exe project hasn't had a release for a while and I am concerned that the decision to rely on py2exe for a commercial release might not be sound.

As far as I know, py2exe is fairly mature. It probably doesn't need regular releases.

Quote:
1. Alternatives to py2exe: are there any?

Several, though py2exe seems to be the preferred one. cx_freeze and exemaker are among them.

Quote:
2. Using C++ to wrap the code (perhaps moving some of the code to C++ as well) and build it with a C++ compiler. Is this a viable way to go?

It's easy enough to ship the Python DLL and just to run it from C++ (with PyRun_SimpleString or something similar), but the problem is ensuring all your required packages and modules (including the standard library) get bundled up in a portable-importable form, if you'll excuse the term.

Okay, I guess it might be more trouble to wrap the code in C++. Furthermore, since we started working in Python 2.5 we will not randomly update to a newer version between patches, which should mean that if py2exe works once it should work every time.

Thanks for the feedback!

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.