• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bigjoe11a

Telnet, FTP and an SMTP server

This topic is 3990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You cant really "set up a telnet/ftp/smtp server in C#" in my understanding...
Unless you mean "how do I write one of those servers from scratch in C#"??

You probably want to go and download an existing telnet/ftp/smtp server program, and make it run at start-up on your PC...
1, 2, 3.

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman

You probably want to go and download an existing telnet/ftp/smtp server program, and make it run at start-up on your PC...
1, 2, 3.

Well if I can make a web server. How come I can't make a Telnet, FTP or a SMTP server.

And I don't realy want some one else software. I wanted some thing that I can put together and call it my own.

Quote:
Original post by bigjoe11a
Quote:
Original post by Hodgman

1, 2, 3.

Well if I can make a web server. How come I can't make a Telnet, FTP or a SMTP server.

And I don't realy want some one else software. I wanted some thing that I can put together and call it my own.

for ftp you could simply read : http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc959/

similar protocol descriptions are avaliable for SMTP and Telnet aswell.

You do not want to write any of those. Under dictionary, this is the very definition of re-inventing the wheel.

Google around a bit, there's literally tens of thousands of any of those around, in either source or binary form in any language imaginable.

That will also determine how you set it up.

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Hodgman

1, 2, 3.

I guess I misunderstood your question. "Making" a server in implies writing code that acts as a server. "Setting up" a server implies taking an existing server-package and making it work on a new system.
Hence the confusion about using C# to "set up" a server.

If you're doing this for educational/interest purposes, then start by reading the specifications of those protocols, like SimonForsman said.

But if you're doing this simply because you want FTP access to your PC, it'd be much easier to use existing software instead of reinventing something so common.

Quote:
Original post by SimonForsman
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Hodgman

1, 2, 3.

for ftp you could simply read : http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc959/

similar protocol descriptions are avaliable for SMTP and Telnet aswell.

Ok, This is talking about how to connect to an FTP server. Not related to making an FTP server

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
You do not want to write any of those. Under dictionary, this is the very definition of re-inventing the wheel.

Google around a bit, there's literally tens of thousands of any of those around, in either source or binary form in any language imaginable.

That will also determine how you set it up.

I spend more time at google.com then I do on my projects. I have all ready gone threw over 400 + pages. My don't you google it.

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Hodgman

1, 2, 3.

I guess I misunderstood your question. "Making" a server in implies writing code that acts as a server. "Setting up" a server implies taking an existing server-package and making it work on a new system.
Hence the confusion about using C# to "set up" a server.

If you're doing this for educational/interest purposes, then start by reading the specifications of those protocols, like SimonForsman said.

But if you're doing this simply because you want FTP access to your PC, it'd be much easier to use existing software instead of reinventing something so common.

1)
The reason is that I all ready run an telnet, FTP and SMTP server. How ever I want to run my own projects.

2) I'm not looking for a FTP Client. I can get them form free on the Internet. I want to setup a Telnet, FTP and a SMTP server.

3) I'm sure theres libraries out there some where that where I can add these add server options to my projects. With doc's or manuals that can help me set up some thing.

I'm all google.com out.

Quote:
Ok, This is talking about how to connect to an FTP server. Not related to making an FTP server

It's the official specification of the FTP protocol - it's applicable to server-writers and client-writers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!