• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Fizzackerlay

DirectX 10 - Why can't I create a HAL device?

This topic is 3990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got a laptop running Vista, and I've downloaded the VisualStudio 2008 and DX10 SDK. The computer was supplied with Vista - it's not my install on a pre-existing system. I'm trying to compile and run tutorial code which comes with the SDK, for example Tutorial01. The code compiles fine, but it won't create a HAL type device, only a REFERENCE device. The call to D3D10CreateDeviceAndSwapChain fails with driver type set to D3D10_DRIVER_TYPE_HARDWARE but works (very slowly) with D3D10_DRIVER_TYPE_REFERENCE This makes all the tutorial .exe run very slowly. Even the simplest tutorials which make a window and fill it with colour don't use HAL only REFERENCE devices. I've tried running both _DEBUG and _RELEASE versions of the apps. I haven't changed anything in the tutorial code. Is there anything I need to do in Windows to get DX10 apps running properly, such as control panel settings or permissions?, or registering apps with Windows? I'm kind of clutching at straws because it's not my code - It's Microsoft's and it doesn't work on my system. I dabbled with DX8 under XP and got spinning cubes etc pretty quickly, but DX10 under Vista doesn't seem to want to run under Hardware Accn. Thanks for any time anyone can give to this, F.

Advertisement
What kind of video card do you have? It probably doesn't support DX 10, which is why you can't create a HAL device.

Not sure which video card it is specifically, but:
1/ It's the Intel (965) chipset;
2/ dxdiag reports a DirectX10 installation;
3/ It's running Vista which, afaiu requires DX10 to run WDDM;
4/ Vista Aero is running, apparently without problems;

The problem is not that it's slow per se, it's that it's slow because it's using the REFERENCE device rather than the HAL device.

F.

1) That's not a DX 10 card (I think it supports DX 9, but probably only up to SM 2.0).
2) Just because your card doesn't support DX 10 doesn't mean you can't install it.
3) See above.
4) AFAIK, Aero requires DX 9 to run.

Quote:
Original post by Gage64
1) That's not a DX 10 card (I think it supports DX 9, but probably only up to SM 2.0).
2) Just because your card doesn't support DX 10 doesn't mean you can't install it.
3) See above.
4) AFAIK, Aero requires DX 9 to run.
Yup. I have Vista + Aero running perfectly happily at home on my DX9 card.

As Gage64 said, the Intel chipset isn't a DX10 card, you'll need to buy a GeForce 8 series or ATI equivalent (I'm not sure what the DX10 ATI cards are) to do hardware DX10.

Bare in mind that the GeForce 9 series is, apparently, out in a matter of weeks you may want to hold fire on investing in a GeForce 8.

Skip all of the Radeon HD 2xxx cards and go straight for the HD 3850 or 3870's instead. Both the 2xxx series and GeForce 8's are 10.0 only, and we're just about to tip over into both 10.1 hardware and 10.1 software.

Of course, if you're not interested in 10.1 then you may as well pick up a cheap mid-range 10.0 card...

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!