• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jagguy2

UI

This topic is 3814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

when i see the many programs available to day to download for just windows i want to know what the are using for there UI? Blender 3D graphics app was written in python? IS it vb.net ,Java or is c++ still used these days for things like UI?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by jagguy2
when i see the many programs available to day to download for just windows i want to know what the are using for there UI?

Blender 3D graphics app was written in python?

IS it vb.net ,Java or is c++ still used these days for things like UI?
The scripts are all python, the app itself uses C++ I believe. The UI code is all custom, rendered with OpenGL.

What exactly is used for the UI depends on the application. It's highly unlikely that a UI will be written in a completely different language to the rest of the program (With the possible exception of using a scripting language for the UI). Are there any other examples you're interested in?

what is the difference between using scripts and c++? why not use c++ for all?

YOu would use javascript and java in a webproject but whatis the benefit in an app?

Quote:
Original post by jagguy2
what is the difference between using scripts and c++? why not use c++ for all?

YOu would use javascript and java in a webproject but whatis the benefit in an app?

scripts are generally easier to modify as they don't require you to recompile everything for every minor change you make, some applications are even capable of loading/unloading/reloading scripts while the app is running, (which means that you can change and tweak the behaviour of things and see the result immediatly, instead of having to close the app, make changes, recompile(can take a few minutes or even more on large projects) start the app just to notice that it wasn't quite right and repeat the process again.

It is also possible to use very simple domain specific scripting languages that can be used by non-programmers, (for games this means that your level designers can use simple scripts to create special items or events without having to go to a programmer for help every 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!