• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrMark

Book Suggestions

This topic is 3905 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After trying to roll my own game engine using OGRE, OIS, Bullet, and a few other libraries I'm starting to find I have some rather large gap's in my C++ knowledge. I'm fairly soild on the the basics as they were covered at uni. But my knowledge on the STL, template/generic programming, data structures/algorithms, and design patterns is a bit flakey. I've picked up bit's and pieces reading online tutorials (the ones on this site are awesome) and I can usually beat the compiler to submission and get the intended result, in an albeit hacky sort of way. But I would much rather learn how to do it properly and save myself hours of frustration. If anyone could recommend some books I would be very grateful.

Advertisement
I would recommend Effective C++, More Effective C++, Effective STL, Design Patterns, and The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference.

The free two-volume book in the third link in my sig covers C++ fairly in-depth as far as how features work and what the compiler is doing. Also, volume 2 covers many interesting topics - excellent treatment of exception handling, a nice chapter on defensive programming, in-depth coverage of STL, advanced template techniques, introduction to design patters and a large chapter on concurrent programming. I highly recommend it.

A book both I and a mate I went to uni with a few years ago swear by:
Ivor Horton's Beginning ANSI C++: The Complete Language - Ivor Horton
- It's a large book, but it has lots of examples (with the best 'talk to me in english' explanations I've ever seen), and exercises at the end of each chapter, I can't praise this book enough.

For design patterns,
Design Patterns - Gamma, Helm et. al.
- Is a good reference, not what you'd call an easy read though.

And to improve your coding style, effectiveness etc.
Code Complete - Steve McConnell
- Good book, again large, but the content is excellent. You can just jump to a chapter you're intersed in and read it without necessarily having read previous chapters.

erm... yeah, that's about all I can think of at the moment.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!