• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Punk Designer

Strategic Format?

This topic is 3813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'll make this as short as I can. Here is my problem as it stands. I have created three lovely unique and vivid races; I have crafted a beautiful setting, natural resources, deep plot lines and unique features. I wish for the game to have the right balance of simplicity and complexity, the right balance of graphics and text, and of course I wish for to be multiplayer and browser based. Here is my problem, which is the best one to go with to create your strategic world? Do you do it all text/browser based like ogame, clicking links to create things. Do you do it using all pictures and few links like Travian, visually showing everybody’s bases as pictures? Do you do it graphic based using something like flash or java to create a real time thing? Which do you feel is the easiest? Which do you feel is the best for strategy? Which do you feel will do better (the biggest fan base attraction). This is just a starting point, I will be asking many other question but please try and give examples, for's and against's, your own experiences, etc. Thanks.

Advertisement
I haven't done any serious web development for years, but I would choose the option with the fewer number of elements to update and manage. I find that easier now in game development almost always means harder later. And vice versa.

One complex system is usually better than many independent systems that all need updated with every tiny change you make.

Check out Archmage (or rather, the fanbased clone after it disappeared): http://www.the-reincarnation.com/

The original used text and images to create the perfect atmosphere for a browser game. Personally, I'm not a fan at all of the flash or java types. They just don't flow as well as pure text and image.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!