Any PS2 SDK? Besides the Linux version...

Started by
5 comments, last by Palidine 16 years, 3 months ago
Hello Coders, i have a ps2, and i dont use it much anymore therefore i would like to at least develop some simple homebrew games for it. I did some research on google and found only a ps2 dev kit for the linux operating system... I have windowsXP and will go wnidows only. however, i did see a sony PS2 dev kit, but unfortunatley on engadget and digg their is a news report of Sony canceling this Ps2 dev kit, and only a few dev kits are being sold on ebay... Unfortunatley i dont have a ton of money to waste it on a ps2 dev kit on ebay. Im looking for a cheap and affordable solution to make games for the ps2. So therefore im asking you Indie developers who have worked on the ps2 to "please" provide me with some sort of legal ps2 dev kit that you would highly recommend. Thanks In Advance, CodeSeeker
Advertisement
from what I understand the linux dev kit actually runs linux on your ps2. I don't think you need a separate computer to use it. It requires the hard drive add on. Second the real dev kits cost in the 10s of thousands of dollars.
The only way to get a "legal" ps2 devkit and SDK other than the linux one is to enter into a licensing contract with Sony. At that point they'll happily sell you one (i believe they go for $10k).

You can't get a licensing deal with them unless you're an established developer, however.

-me
i found one. but i dont know if this is the right one...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fps2dev.org%2FPS2%2FProjects%2Fps2sdk&ei=5aiGR9ujCKG4iAHC0r2EBQ&usg=AFQjCNHXVufl6wyjFJsw-4HCDBZbt-zfWw&sig2=vKiK57qQZd92uP52IIADzw
I believe that's the SDK for the linux devkit.

I should also mention that the other obstacle to homebrew console development is that the manufacturers are the only ones who can burn disks that will work on unhacked consumer consoles.

-me
Let me guess, their is a specific address or code that the ps2 looks for to see if the disk is valid?

If so, is it even possible to code a patch to the rom or whatever format the ps2 games are in with this code or address so it looks ligit?

Thanks.
Quote:Original post by codeseeker
Let me guess, their is a specific address or code that the ps2 looks for to see if the disk is valid?

If so, is it even possible to code a patch to the rom or whatever format the ps2 games are in with this code or address so it looks ligit?

Thanks.

I don't know how they do it. It's possible to hack anything, but you'd probably need at least a hardware mod for your PS2 to bypass it for homebrew disks.

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement