• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
devronious

SlimDX status?

This topic is 3984 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
SlimDX has nice support for D3D10. I've been using it for over 3 months now.

Some methods havn't yet been implemented, but when interest is made in them, they are usually implemented pretty quickly. Also, any bugs found (very few so far) are also fixed very quickly. Props to jpetrie on the excellent work.

Sirob,

I have desire to use SlimDX and if possible mod the code to my personal needs. I'm not sure how the code license works though for this item. What can I do with this. I would like to learn about wrappers and how to make them myself so that someday, if needed, I could help with it, and/or make my own.

So three questions for that: Can I get the code and/or mod it? Is there a tut on creating wrappers for c++ DirectX? And is that what SlimDX is? I don't really know what a wrapper is. I'm guessing it's a DotNet library made out of c++ that allows managed code to run the c++ counterparts of the DirectX SDK library.

-Devin

SlimDX uses an extremely generous license that basically allows you to use the source code in any way you wish. Check out the license here. You can download the source from the Google project page.

As for your other question, SlimDX is indeed a managed wrapper around native DirectX. It uses a language called C++/CLI, which is sort of a hybrid between the purely managed C# and the purely native C++, and is used almost exclusively for creating wrappers just like SlimDX. You probably won't be able to find any good tutorials on how to make managed wrappers around native code libraries, but the process is relatively straightforward.

Quote:
You probably won't be able to find any good tutorials on how to make managed wrappers around native code libraries, but the process is relatively straightforward.

How does anyone figure out how to do this then? Create managed wrappers that is?

It's not that complex. What you want to do is simple - create a DLL that is visiable to a managed language (C#) that can make calls to the unmanaged library you're wrapping (DX). The actual syntax isn't that tricky, and there's plenty of information about CLI on MSDN.

OK, super then. I read something that the SlimDX code was not openly available for download. Is this true? I went to the http site and found that I would have to download each file seperately which will take some time. Is there a zip file or something?

Using a Subversion client, you can check the entire repository out at once. We don't provide periodic archives of the source, nor are there plans to do so.

OK, thanks, I'm new to Subversion systems and wasn't sure what it was. I did read about that at the SlimDX site. I'll use that (I'll have to figure it out). I wasn't sure that I could check out the entire code. This is good news.

I would like to switch to SlimDX but am dreading the tedious process of changing the method names and arguments and such. Are they pretty much the same throughout the API?

-Devin

The names are similar to both MDX and that native API in order to make things easier for those who are familiar with those libraries, but ours can and does make deviations from those names when we feel it will make a method or property more clear and more in line with the rest of the .NET framework.

That said, you will probably find that many of the functions are identically named anyway, so just plop in the file, compile, and let Visual Studio tell you which functions are missing and need to be renamed.

Also, just to note: Because SlimDX is still in beta, we still make naming and organizational changes every once in a while, so if you need a stable release don't update your repository with every new commit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!