Refreshing "Virus Noob - did I get this from Gamedev?" trips virus?

Started by
19 comments, last by Oberon_Command 16 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by hydroo
So I guess the linux user is save here, except for the gd-account-password, right?

I'm pretty sure that even your account password is safe. There's no indication that there was any access made to the database; I don't think these people were interested in random account passwords. Yes, as a Linux user you will not have been infected.

Quote:Original post by kanzler
It's time to reinstall and hire a halfway decent system administrator.

If you can find someone who's willing to work for $500/mo, administering the network remotely, who'll do a better job than me, then please, by all means, drop the staff an email. I've got a university course and a girlfriend who'd probably appreciate me no longer pulling all-nighters to fix these things when they crop up.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by superpig
So I guess the linux user is save here, except for the gd-account-password, right?

I'm pretty sure that even your account password is safe. There's no indication that there was any access made to the database; I don't think these people were interested in random account passwords. Yes, as a Linux user you will not have been infected.

If you can find someone who's willing to work for $500/mo, administering the network remotely, who'll do a better job than me, then please, by all means, drop the staff an email. I've got a university course and a girlfriend who'd probably appreciate me no longer pulling all-nighters to fix these things when they crop up.

Chill out dude, nobody blames you for the virus. Kanzler doesn't understand the complexity of custom forum software. What I can say is, there could be an announcement somewhere more obvious, such as a stickified thread.
Quote:Original post by gb_programmer

Chill out dude, nobody blames you for the virus. Kanzler doesn't understand the complexity of custom forum software. What I can say is, there could be an announcement somewhere more obvious, such as a stickified thread.

I don't blame him, "It's time to reinstall and hire a halfway decent system administrator.", kind of a direct insult imo.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937

I don't blame him, "It's time to reinstall and hire a halfway decent system administrator.", kind of a direct insult imo.

Yes, it wasn't very tactful. I would be upset too. Since I currently use GDnet for free, I don't worry too much when it goes offline.

Question: When the site goes offline, does the storage you get with GDNet plus subscription go offline too?

If you cannot keep your custom forum software secure and safe for everyone using it, then maybe you should not be using custom forum software in the first place. (I don't mean you, of course, I mean generally speaking).
You say yourself that custom forum software is complex, but if the staff cannot handle it, then they should not be using it. I know that if I were using Windows (and IE) to browse gamedev, instead of linux, I'd be annoyed!

In any case, well done superpig in fixing it, but PLEASE announce this somewhere more visible (it took me a while to find the explanation, I can imagine many people, especially those who do not use the lounge, did not and may still be infected) and make sure this cannot EVER happen again! If it does happen again, think about scrapping the custom forum software.

Quote:Original post by issch
If it does happen again, think about scrapping the custom forum software.

And replace it with what?

I'm perfectly chilled. Seriously, I know that there are many people who are better qualified than me. Fun though it is to be managing servers, if someone more qualified than me was willing to do it for me without me having to try and persuade the owners to salary another employee, I'd happily hand over the reigns and get on with the software end while letting them deal with WSUS and group policy and VMWare and Linux membership in Active Directory.

I should note that the fact that we use custom forum software played no part in this attack.

I've posted a news item on the front page of the site, but I guess you're right, there are people who bypass the front page to come straight to the forum and don't read the Lounge. I'll post an announcement as well.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

PLEASE announce this somewhere more visible

It is, at least currently, the top most article on the home page.

edit: superpig already pointed it out
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
If it does happen again, think about scrapping the custom forum software.

No, this is a pretty good piece of custom software. No generic forum software would be well suited to the purpose.

I should note that the fact that we use custom forum software played no part in this attack.
I'm sorry, I didn't actually mean to attack you or gamedev.net with my post, I was merely referring to gb_programmer's comment that problems are OK and expected because the site runs custom forum software and custom forum software is complex. I have nothing but respect for gamedev's forum software and everyone involved in making it,

Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
I was not suggesting gamedev should replace the forum software, I was just replying to gb_programmer's argument that custom forum software is complex.

Quote:Original post by WanMaster
It is, at least currently, the top most article on the home page.
Yes, now it is, but it should have been from the start. Anyway, no point in arguing about it, since alls well now .

... Rereading my original post, I guess I did imply that gamedev should switch - I did not intend that really. I meant that only if gamedev continues to have malware problems. Since superpig has stated it had nothing to do with the forum software, this is not an issue.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement