• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wforl

Maths Software

This topic is 3812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I recently purchased "3d Math Primer", and and going through the book,testing the theory by drawing my own graphs etc etc. But im wondering if theres any software out there that might make this task a lot easier and quicker. Such as being able to plot 2d and 3d vectors on graphs, and being able to work out the angle between them. I have found "Calc Pro 3d", but cant see to find a way to plot the graphs of the vectors Thanks

Advertisement
We use mathcad alot in school, but there i also mathlab and mathematica that I know of. Think all three are commercial products though ..

Stefan

Mathcad, Mathematica and Matlab are commercial & expensive. Even the academic licenses are limited and not cheap. There are many open source solutions. My personal recommendations are Python with SciPy, NumPy and MatPlotLib, and Scilab, which is an open source Matlab clone. Both are very good and will get the job done with no problems (and if you go down the Python route you'll also be learning a popular langauge ;) ).

I consider this software to be overkill for something as simple as learning 3D math.

Do yourself a favor, and either write something that would draw desired graph on the screen, or use pen and paper. (GIMP would work too.) Actually you should use lines positioned in 3D space, not something originating from a single point.

You need a first hand experience from a accuracy problems of a 3D math implementation in a simple program. Encyclopedic like knowledge doesn't cut it out.

ok guys, thanks for the comments, reading through this book i know im going to come accross quite a few pages that i dont understand, for which i know most of you will find super simple, the follwoing being the first

--Geometric Interpretation--

vector a = 5, 4, 9
vector b = 8, 1, 2

vector axb = ?

||a|| = 11.045 (magnitude)
||b|| = 8.307

axb = -1, 62, 27 (cross product)

||axb|| = 67.631 (magnitude of cross product)

angle bewteen a and b, (0) 0 = 0.829

so concerning

||a x b|| = ||a|| ||b|| sin0

67.631 = (11.045)*(8.307)*(sin(0.829))

but for this, i get the following

(11.045)*(8.307)*(sin(0.829)) = 1.327

so what am i doing wrong?

The problem arises because you are using degrees, where the book is using radians:

sin(0.8 degrees) ~ 0.01
sin(0.8 radians) ~ 0.7

.8 radians ~ 45.8 degrees

If you're using Windows, the calc.exe application allows you to use deg/rad/grad. Also, google.com will allow you to type in things like "0.8 radians = ? degrees".

Best of luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!