"Failed to load and parse the manifest"

Started by
7 comments, last by Dystophian 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, I'm new to both these forums, VC++ 2008 and win32/directX programming, so forgive me if this problem is really easy to solve or has been solved before. I've spent the day searching with google and browsing forums but nothing has come up so far. I'm trying to compile the following, very simple hello world code (from www.directxtutorial.com) in VC++ 2008: #include <windows.h> // include the basic windows header file // the entry point for any Windows program int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd) { // create a "Hello World" message box using MessageBox() MessageBox(NULL, L"Hello World!", L"Just another Hello World program!", MB_ICONEXCLAMATION | MB_OK); // return 0 to Windows return 0; } This generates the following error: 1>------ Build started: Project: wintest, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ 1>Embedding manifest... 1>.\Debug\wintest.exe.intermediate.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden. 1>Build log was saved at "file://e:\Code\Projects\wintest\wintest\Debug\BuildLog.htm" 1>wintest - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ========== I've compiled example projects from MSDN and the dirextX sample projects and they all work fine. So I don't see what I'm missing here. Could anyone shed some light on what is going on?
Advertisement
how did you make the project? did you make a win32 app?
Quote:Original post by Funkymunky
how did you make the project? did you make a win32 app?

I started a win32 project (not console or anything), and checked 'empty project'.

I feel kind of silly. I've got plenty of programming experience in the world of digital signal processing with C++ and using the DevC++ IDE. Yet when I switch to a different environment I can't even get a simple helloworld message box to run.
Well there is nothing wrong with the code. What happens if you create a new project and paste the code?
How exactly do you want me to create the project? Because I've tried starting empty projects of various kinds and pasting the code in.

I've now also tried to compile a console program, a real classic ofcource:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl;
std::cin.get();
return 0;
}

I get the same manifest error.

[Edited by - Dystophian on January 14, 2008 6:56:02 AM]
The build log looks like this:

-----------------------------------------------------

Build Log

Rebuild started: Project: test, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Command Lines

Creating temporary file "c:\code\test\Debug\RSP00000210323284.rsp" with contents
[
/out:.\Debug\test.exe.embed.manifest /notify_update /manifest

.\Debug\test.exe.intermediate.manifest
]
Creating command line "mt.exe @c:\code\test\Debug\RSP00000210323284.rsp /nologo"

Output Window

Embedding manifest...
.\Debug\test.exe.intermediate.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.

Results

Build log was saved at "file://c:\code\test\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
test - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

-----------------------------------------------------

There is one other file in the directory: test.exe.embed.manifest.
The other mentioned file (test.exe.intermediate.manifest) is nowhere to be found.
Are you compiling with /MP for multiple core compilation. I had this problem because both an application project and a library that the application depended on were being compiled at the same time.
Quote:Original post by Dystophian
How exactly do you want me to create the project? Because I've tried starting empty projects of various kinds and pasting the code in.

I've now also tried to compile a console program, a real classic ofcource:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl;
std::cin.get();
return 0;
}

I get the same manifest error.

Its beats me really, I created a new project in VC++ 2008 express, Project -> Win32 -> Win32 Console Application -> Application Settings -> Windows Application / Empty project, and added your WinMain code to it.
Quote:Original post by Dave
Are you compiling with /MP for multiple core compilation. I had this problem because both an application project and a library that the application depended on were being compiled at the same time.

Since I'm new to VC++ I'm not sure where those settings are stored, can you point me in the right direction? I have a dualcore processor, by the way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement