• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cgr

Help with Art/Writing:

This topic is 3903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm starting a game project but have a few questions. I can cover the programming part, I also have the sound part taken care of. However I am running into difficulties in the following areas: 1. The game will need art. How do I decide what size the art will be, how much art will be needed, and all other graphic related stuff? Should I look at other games in that genre and pretty much take ideas from it? Also.. can a programmer who's never taken art courses, grab a few tutorials and make art that's good enough for a amateur game? 2. I don't know how to to go about writing story/characters for my game. Is it similar to writing a book? Are there any links you can provide to help with the design/writing aspect of the game? If anyone can give advice on the above mentioned areas, I'll gladly appreciate it. Thanks.

Advertisement
you could use placeholder art and get the gameplay working such that its a fun game. Then you can add in real art (im sure you could draw some) and change it up until you get the visual style you want for the game.

As far as the story, it's less like writing a book because you're more creating a world for a human player to interact with. You still have story elements though, so try writing a scenario that would be fun to work your way through.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!