Looking for a book or website

Started by
2 comments, last by TheRonLad 16 years, 3 months ago
I'm looking for either a book or web-resource that structurally (i.e. not by means of a FAQ) explains the process of getting from C++ code to a running program. In this book I'd like to find explanations about topics such as compiling, (dynamic) linking, object files, and symbol tables. Does anyone have a suggestion for such a book or web-resource?
Advertisement
The free books in my sig have some details on the process.
Compiler manual and OS resources.

C++ as language doesn't know about any of those things. They apply to all statically compiled languages, and depend only on host platform.

Dynamic libraries and object files are OS-related, symbol tables and static libraries are compiler/platform/OS/debugger specific.

Microsoft Visual Studio hides all of this from you, so do most IDEs. Writing your own makefiles will teach you most about how things fall together under the language level, building a few things completely manually with gcc is also good experience. Later you can go to autoconf and automake.
Gage64: Thanks, I will take a look at them.

Antheus: I understand that things such as symbol tables, object files, etc. are OS/compiler etc. specific. However, I do not need to know the exact structure and contents of these things. I want to know what kind of thing a symbol table is, how it relates to compilation and debugging etc. I think I know (part of) the answer to these questions, but would like to read a structured explanation of these thing. An overview of the relation between all of these concepts is not totally situation dependend, is it?
Furthermore, any references to makefile tutorials/books are welcome.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement