• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Funkyjive

OpenGL Creating opengl console for cheats etc.

This topic is 3814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a tutorial for creating a console type system for a game or program? I would like to impliment something similar to the console you get when you press the ~ key in hl2. I tried google but didnt really find what I was looking for. Mostly the results thought I was talking about the normal console you get with cin and cout type stuff but I am looking for an opengl in game console system. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Advertisement
Note that creating an in-game console system has very little specifically to do with OpenGL. (Ideally, display of the console should be abstracted away - the console itself shouldn't know anything about how it is to be displayed or rendered.)

As far as rendering the console goes, as long as you have a way to render text to the screen, you have everything you need to display a basic console. The real challenge is simply implementing the console system itself, which can be non-trivial, depending on what sort of features you want to support (the linked article above should give you a good starting point though).

Now that you say that it makes sense. I will be able to render it without problem. It is the actual way the console works which is what I was looking for. Thanks for that link it is what I was looking for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!