gcc creating a gui window on linux

Started by
2 comments, last by let_bound 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi. are anyone knows.[and can say] how can i create GUI windows on linux using gcc. am i need extra libraries other then gcc's standard library. i heard about libgnome but is it enough.? or what is other choices.? thanks.
© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
Advertisement
I allways think that it is best to use multi-platform libraries; for non-game GUI the best one I think is QT http://trolltech.com/products/qt , but I know that other people like Ultimate++ (I dislike TheIDE that you MUST to use in order to compile) or wxWidgets.

All of them are quite easy to understand, cool tools included (designers, localization).
Under linux, there is no "standard" GUI toolkit (the frameworks that do windows, buttons and the rest). The leading two are QT (C++ with a custom preprocessor on top) and GTK+ (plain C). then you get a bunch of a little less used toolkits like wxWidgets (plain C++, native look under linux (via GTK+) and under windows), FLTK, Motif...

For you to have a idea, the Gnome and XFCE desktop use GTK+ while KDE uses QT.

The choice depends on what you are the most comforable with.

Note that if you absolutely want an C++ framework, a wrapper for GTK+ named gtkmm exists.
Tchou kanaky ! tchou !
Quote:Original post by Mawww
Note that if you absolutely want an C++ framework, a wrapper for GTK+ named gtkmm exists.

There's also GTK+ Foundation Classes, another C++ wrapper for GTK+.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement