3D explosion effect

Started by
13 comments, last by Zakwayda 16 years, 3 months ago
ah, I understand now. Thanks again. I implemented it and it works like a charm [grin]. Now I'm off to make the ripples stick to the surface (basically: looking for a formula giving the radius of a small circle of a sphere given the distance of said small circle from the center of the sphere)... or something with similar effect.

Again, thanks very much. Its already looking really great.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by medevilenemy
Now I'm off to make the ripples stick to the surface (basically: looking for a formula giving the radius of a small circle of a sphere given the distance of said small circle from the center of the sphere)... or something with similar effect.
Since we've gotten this far, we might as well go ahead and try to figure this out as well :)

I think this should be as simple as:
ring_effect_radius = sqrt(sqr(shield_radius) - sqr(distance_to_ring_effect));
This from the fact that the vector from the sphere center to the effect center and any vector from this center perpendicular to the sphere surface form two legs of a right triangle whose hypotenuse has length shield_radius. Letting a represent the length of the first leg and b the length of the second, we have:
a2 + b2 = r2b2 = r2 - a2b = sqrt(r2 - a2)
My brain's kind of shot for the day, so I offer no guarantee that this is correct. But maybe it'll at least get you moving in the right direction...
I'll see what I can do and let you know (i'll edit this post shortly)

[edit] seems pretty good. Thanks again!
[edit2] after a little tweaking to the animation (the gradient is wider, with smaller steps, etc) it really looks awesome. especially when multiple projectiles hit the same general area of the shield bubble. When that happens it looks almost like there is some constructive/destructive interference in the ripples. I am really pleased.

[Edited by - medevilenemy on January 13, 2008 10:19:16 PM]
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Here's a quick little video I whipped up to demonstrate the effect, Its not much... but I'm still very pleased with the effect.

Quote:Original post by medevilenemy
Here's a quick little video I whipped up to demonstrate the effect, Its not much... but I'm still very pleased with the effect.

Looks good! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement